Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Beauty Electrical Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
Charlie Cheap
- 76
- 16
Before I went to Elkins Institute to become a TV service tech (TV repairman in my day) I used one of theses at the local 7-11 to keep our TV's working. They worked great...the tester and our TV. How times have changed!
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
DrClaude said:An engineering marvel:
Looking at the 18½ minute run time for that video, I guessed that I wouldn't make it to the end.
I was wrong.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Along with the B&K 550 tube tester, I was also give it's tube chart and it's B&K 610 expansion panel.
Here's a couple pictures of the expansion panel. IMO the 610's beauty comes from it's rotary switches.
Here's the tube tester with it's expansion panel & chart:
Here's a couple pictures of the expansion panel. IMO the 610's beauty comes from it's rotary switches.
Here's the tube tester with it's expansion panel & chart:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I've got my old vacuum system beauty,
all pumped down.
Now I'm going to try depositing a layer of gold one some round glass microscope slip covers (cleaned and coated with a thin layer of "clear" exposed photo-resist). I find that the photo-resist makes for a stronger metal bond. This same type of photo resist will then be used to etch a pattern on the gold layer. Here's a photograph showing the gold sample before it gets melted.
all pumped down.
Now I'm going to try depositing a layer of gold one some round glass microscope slip covers (cleaned and coated with a thin layer of "clear" exposed photo-resist). I find that the photo-resist makes for a stronger metal bond. This same type of photo resist will then be used to etch a pattern on the gold layer. Here's a photograph showing the gold sample before it gets melted.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
No matter how reliable rotary vacuum pumps are, they still need maintenance. One of my Edwards 8 dual stage pumps started to perform below expectations, so it's time for a clean and overhaul.dlgoff said:Here, the beauty is in "system's" reliability. After hundreds of pump-downs, never a component failure.
Here, the beauty is in the interior parts.
Oh BTW. Vacuum pump oil makes it a really messy job.

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
DrClaude said:A restauration master at work
I kinda disagree with filing off of the casting ridges and filling on of hollows ( unless the hollows were caused by damage). Those ridges and hollows are part of the originality of its creation and now its uniqueness has been lost
dlgoff said:Just goes to show that restorations are no easy matter.
yeah, it helps to have the right tools to do the job
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
I agree. He does that in all similar restorations, but I think he should only repair damage.davenn said:I kinda disagree with filing off of the casting ridges and filling on of hollows ( unless the hollows were caused by damage). Those ridges and hollows are part of the originality of its creation and now its uniqueness has been lost![]()
And the talent!davenn said:yeah, it helps to have the right tools to do the job
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
Takes patience and manual dexterity.
My old friend Harry and a fiddle restoration in progress.
Note home made fiddle clamps - old sewing thread spools work well.
Difference between a fiddle and a violin ?
Violins don't get beer spilt on 'em.
(@dlgoff that's your Grandma's violin)
sorry ths one's off topic, being not electrical..
old jim
My old friend Harry and a fiddle restoration in progress.
Note home made fiddle clamps - old sewing thread spools work well.
Difference between a fiddle and a violin ?
Violins don't get beer spilt on 'em.
(@dlgoff that's your Grandma's violin)
sorry ths one's off topic, being not electrical..
old jim
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Thanks for posting this photograph @jim hardy. I was going to post it here once I got your permission but just hadn't gotten around to asking you.jim hardy said:Takes patience and manual dexterity.
My old friend Harry and a fiddle restoration in progress.
Note home made fiddle clamps - old sewing thread spools work well.
View attachment 244989
Difference between a fiddle and a violin ?
Violins don't get beer spilt on 'em.
(@dlgoff that's your Grandma's violin)
sorry ths one's off topic, being not electrical..
old jim
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Harry did a great job putting this violin back together after all the abuse I gave it as a kid.jim hardy said:My old friend Harry and a fiddle restoration in progress.
But the waveforms a violin produces is just as complicated as electrical analog signals. Years ago, after my school's EE department invited Robert Moog to explain the electronics of the music synthesizer he designed and built, I played around making analog circuits that "duplicated" string instruments. IIRC a violin's waveforms are rich in odd harmonics.jim hardy said:sorry ths one's off topic, being not electrical.
Anyway, here's that old violin now.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
dlgoff said:IIRC a violin's waveforms are rich in odd harmonics.
They're interesting also from a mechanical perspective.
The front and back vibrate in various modes, not just as a simple sheet
a wood soundpost about the diameter of a pencil is placed right underneath the 'bridge' to mechanically couple couple them,
and a 'bass bar' stiffens the front to help it produce low notes,
as you can imagine the varying thickness of those front and back plates controls the sound of the fiddle.
Yours was well made. The neck mount was unusual, similar to that of a region in the way northeast of Germany. Harry liked its tone and said whoever thinned its front and back knew what he was doing..
Theory of vibrating plates is an interesting niche
https://www.phy.davidson.edu/StuHome/derekk/Chladni/pages/history.htm said:History of Chladni's Law
f ~ (m+2n)^2
The story behind the equation:
Ernest Florens Friedrich Chladni of Saxony is often respectfully referred to as "the Father of Acoustics". Indeed, his body of work on the vibration of plates has served as the foundation of many experiments by countless other scientists, including Faraday, Strehlke, Savart, Young, and especially Mary Desiree Waller. Chladni's study consisted of vibrating a fixed, circular plate with a violin bow and then sprinkling fine sand across it to show the various nodal lines and patterns. The experiment is particularly rewarding in that high frequencies often exhibit strikingly complex patterns (see the pictures on the image page). In fact, Chladni's demonstrations in many royal academies and scientific institutions frequently drew large crowds who were duly impressed with the aesthetically sophisticated qualities of vibrating plates. Napoleon himself was so pleased with Chladni's work that he commissioned the further study of the mathematical principles of vibrating plates which then spurred a plethora of research in waves and acoustics. While experimental methods and equipment have been much improved in the last 200 years, Chladni's law and original patterns are still regularly employed to study plate vibrations.
References:
Rossing, Thomas D. "Chladni's Law for Vibrating Plates." American Journal of Physics.Vol 50. no 3. March, 1982.
see also
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/violintro.htmlhttp://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/chladni.html
I hope your grandchildren enjoy it as much as you did..
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Thanks for these references Jim. And thank Harry for his expert restoration.jim hardy said:They're interesting also from a mechanical perspective.
The front and back vibrate in various modes, not just as a simple sheet
a wood soundpost about the diameter of a pencil is placed right underneath the 'bridge' to mechanically couple couple them,
and a 'bass bar' stiffens the front to help it produce low notes,
as you can imagine the varying thickness of those front and back plates controls the sound of the fiddle.
Yours was well made. The neck mount was unusual, similar to that of a region in the way northeast of Germany. Harry liked its tone and said whoever thinned its front and back knew what he was doing..
Theory of vibrating plates is an interesting nichesee also
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/violintro.htmlhttp://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/chladni.html
I hope your grandchildren enjoy it as much as you did..
I hope this fiddle will be passed down for generations.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Hi Don,
Had to show you this old bit of gear I found in a historical society museum in the city of Bathurst, NSW Australia.
Wife and I had a long weekend holiday there a couple of weekend's ago
Dating from the early 1900's, an X-ray "machine"
No shielding or anything, just "spray and pray" hahahaDave
Had to show you this old bit of gear I found in a historical society museum in the city of Bathurst, NSW Australia.
Wife and I had a long weekend holiday there a couple of weekend's ago
Dating from the early 1900's, an X-ray "machine"
No shielding or anything, just "spray and pray" hahahaDave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
That is so awesome @davenn. I'd love to be "spraying" some X-rays with it. Would go good with my other "spray" machine.davenn said:Hi Don,
Had to show you this old bit of gear I found in a historical society museum in the city of Bathurst, NSW Australia.
Wife and I had a long weekend holiday there a couple of weekend's ago
Dating from the early 1900's, an X-ray "machine"
View attachment 245251
View attachment 245252
No shielding or anything, just "spray and pray" hahahaDave
Mentor
- 38,152
- 10,759
Just put a pickup in it, making it an electric violin.jim hardy said:sorry ths one's off topic, being not electrical..
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Just like my old friend Robby Steinhardt did.Mark44 said:Just put a pickup in it, making it an electric violin.
