Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Featured
Some things I want saved for the for the future are geranium diodes and mylar variable capacitors, a small verity of tubes, old tube televisions in prestine condition, old solid state black and white televisions with air gap tuning variable capasitors in clean working condition, a few 1960s table top radios with the old style carbon comp resistors and ferite antennas, XT computers with 5-1/4 fdds, the works on that one, Mac se30's that still work with software, and dip IC's. Oh and quality VOMs.

I hope somebody keeps a warehouse full of this stuff.

Edit: don't forget the old tape decks and VCRs.

The geranium joke reminded of the time a woman came into the store looking for self abasive tape, you know the kind that’s sticky on both sides.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
And don't forget to empty the grid leak drip pans...

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm doing a pump-down with my "new" old Welch 1402 vacuum pump. It's doing a beautiful job.

Welch 1402.jpg

Attachments

Will there be any dark matter inside the old vacuum? :-)

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It looks good up in the air.

View attachment 225968
I thought it would look neat to add some navigation lights to the Narco navigation antenna installation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light said:
Aircraft navigation lights are placed in a way similar to that of marine vessels, with a red navigation light located on the left wingtip leading edge and a green light on the right wingtip leading edge.
left navigation light:
left-nav.jpg

right navigation light:
right-nav.jpg

Attachments

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Is that a VOR or RDF ? Does it find your local radio stations ?

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is that a VOR or RDF ? Does it find your local radio stations ?
VOR 108.1 to 117.95 MHz and communications 118 to 135 MHz. The VOR station that it's pointed toward is the Butler, MO VORTAC station @115.90 MHz.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Ahh found ya. Butler looks like a good check.. Topeka's no challenge !

upload_2018-6-6_18-1-9.png

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's some of my RF stuff:
RF Stuff.jpg

I came across this Kris 23+ CB Transceiver a year or so ago. It's in pristine condition and was in it's original box. I haven't found the exact time these were manufactured, but they were made in Japan. Probably in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Definitely beautiful; condition and all.
KRiS cb.jpg

Now this Hammarlund CB-23 is what I used back in the 1960s. They were advertised in the June 1963 edition of Popular Electronics. Very hard to find now days.
HAMMARLUND cb.jpg

Here's a transmitter for the 20, 40, and 80 meter Ham bands. It will require lots of work should I ever get to it.
20,40,80meter.jpg

Attachments

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Here's a transmitter for the 20, 40, and 80 meter Ham bands. It will require lots of work should I ever get to it.
Amazing condition on your memorabilia, Don !

I have a Heath DX100 someplace i think.

What a time we live in.. My grandmother lived from times of horse and buggy to moon landings... We've lived from vacuum tubes to cellphones and internet.. It's as profound as the printing press...

old jim

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
What a time we live in.. My grandmother lived from times of horse and buggy to moon landings... We've lived from vacuum tubes to cellphones and internet.. It's as profound as the printing press...
It's really amazing to think how short of time this has occurred. I wonder what the world will be like after a similar amount of time.

This came up in my LinkedIn feed:

Amsted Rail in St. Louis is still powered by GE switchgear installed in 1898!!

0ca88a0b-45ed-4923-b338-0282ce501417-original.jpg

01ecd5bc-05f1-4785-ac34-a6ba5b9831f7-original.jpg

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Amsted Rail in St. Louis is still powered by GE switchgear installed in 1898!!
Not sure I'd like to open or close one of those knife switches. Just sayin'

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I probably shouldn't post this photo here since it's not beautiful in it's current state. It had a hung-up vain blade, I think. It's going to be another late night.

nobeauty.jpg

It should look like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I probably shouldn't post this photo here since it's not beautiful in it's current state. It had a hung-up vain blade, I think. It's going to be another late night.

View attachment 228799

It should look like this.
Beauty of hardware doesn't just come from it's appearance but also it's functionality.

workbeauty.jpg

~beauty.jpg

Functioning again. :approve:

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
A neighbor of mine brought me a bucket with ~75 old vacuum tubes. So I put them into my tube caddy:
tubes.jpg

But what I found interesting in the bucket was this 4-pin vibrator with the original sales receipt. Back in the day it cost $1.79:
vibrator.jpg

Vibrators were used a lot in old car radios to make "a.c." by chopping the d.c. supply voltage:
vib-circuit.gif

image compliments of https://radioremembered.org/

Attachments