Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
dlgoff said:
don't know him
dlgoff said:
Sounds incongruous at first.Mark44 said:Just put a pickup in it, making it an electric violin.
dlgoff said:Even as a kid, I saw beauty in old devices. That made me want to understand how they worked. I had lots of old things that I keep and now reviving. Old things need to work to see the beauty. Here's what I've done so far.
Two views of the gadgets shelves and my small work space:
View attachment 134695
View attachment 134696
Here's a close up look at the meters, gauges and other measuring things:
View attachment 134697
This is what I think of as surface-mount electrical components and wiring. The components are very old and shows how electrical wiring was done from ~1915 to ~1930+. The ceramic "stand-offs" were called knobs and ceramic "through-hole" insulators (usually through wood beams) were called tubes. Hence the name, knob and tube wiring. I haven't acquired any tubes however.
View attachment 134698
Everything has been wired to power (with the exception of the knife switch w/fuses with vintage incoming and outgoing cloth insulated wire). The toggle switch is made of black ceramic and brass. The bluish color bulb is very old and still works. The other white bulb is modern, but the pull-chain socket is vintage.
View attachment 134699
View attachment 134700
Here's two reproduction Edison bulbs in vintage ceramic sockets and is switched by the right push-button switches (other push-button is a spare). The switch cover is brass plated copper.
View attachment 134701
These ceramic sockets have pull-chain switches in their bases. The switches still work and the pull chains are original. The clearance between the pull-chain and rotating brass contacts is very small. That's probably why the left pull-chain has an insulator in it.
There's another push-button switch and duplex receptacle in the wall under the surface stuff. It's receptacle and cover are made of Bakelite. That push-button turns on these bulbs:
View attachment 134702
Two of the bulbs are really old; one uses neon to make a flickering flame and one uses phosphorescent purple and green flowers and leaves. They’re running on 115 volt power. The other ones (note the big 1000 watt bulb) filaments are being lighted by 25 volts via a step down transformer so as to just glow and not overwhelm the gas bulbs. The gas bulbs are screwed into vintage ceramic sockets.
There are three high voltage transformers (two are really old). The 6.0 kV transformer powers the green neon tube. Check out how it illuminates my old glassware.
View attachment 134703
The 7.5 kV transformer applies its potential to one end of small vintage fluorescent tubes inserted in the test-tube & distilling flask and causes them to glow from "static" discharge. Note how I tried to make the flask appear to be condensing drops of light from the string of very small neon tubes inside the flask's discharge tube. I was very lucky to find the drip shaped neon tube. I took it out of an old Heath-Kit fish/depth finder.
View attachment 134704
The 9.0 kV transformer power is applied to handmade electrodes. I had two really old bi-metal temperature switches where I removed and reshaped the bi-metal, added the brass "arc tips", and attached them to a vintage glass power line pole insulator. After being power, the bi-metal leads are orientated such that the heat from the current causes the gag to increase; making the arc get longer and longer.
View attachment 134705
This is still a work in progress as I still have to add a brass platted duplex receptacle to supply power to the oscilloscope and sweep generator (just left of the scope) shown in the first photo.
If you have any thing old and would like to share a photo, please do. It's all beautiful in my mind.
Charlie Cheap said:My son-in-law plays guitar and told me many of them are going back to TUBE amps for their clarity.
Vacuum tubes are the most sexy, elusive and magical element of all of high end audio. The glowing tube, the single ended tube - it's enough to make an audiophile cry with tears of joy. Maybe tubes aren't as powerful or as accurate as solid state designs but there is just something thrilling about tubes that can't be beat.
Yummy! Sugar!Baluncore said:“They say steam gets into your spine, the same way Blackpool goes through rock”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)#Lettering

sexy, elusive and magical element of all of high end audio
I don't know if this qualifies for this part (while fits the part about audiophiles) but some companies already started to produce fake vacuum tubes (with LED lights inside: optionally with different colors).anorlunda said:Selling beauty is also a huge industry.

Electro Scientific Industries, ESI- DekaStat, DekaPot, DekaVider series. Most are Kelvin-Varley resistive dividers. This one pictured is a simple adjustable resistor I just finished restoring this year.Beautiful.inside and out, all wire wound resistors using non inductive Ayrton-Perry wiring.dlgoff said:So it wasn't a Beckman Instruments Helipot? Interesting.
[/PLAIN]
http://vimeo.com/97150132']http://vimeo.com/97150132']Helipot history.
Very nice work @geoelectronics. I bet that was a tedious job. Curious; what tolerances were the resistors? Thanks for sharing.geoelectronics said:Electro Scientific Industries, ESI- DekaStat, DekaPot, DekaVider series. Most are Kelvin-Varley resistive dividers. This one pictured is a simple adjustable resistor I just finished restoring this year.Beautiful.inside and out, all wire wound resistors using non inductive Ayrton-Perry wiring.
Geo>K0FF
I just downloaded the the Instruction Manual DB877_im.pdf (attached)berkeman said:What does "X" mean on the selectors?
All decade dials can be turned 360°, which allows settings to be changed rapidly and directly from X to 0. Seven of the decade dials (0.1 ohm – 100 kilohms) have an X position that corresponds to ten steps on the dial or one step of the next higher decade dial.
dlgoff said:Very nice work @geoelectronics. I bet that was a tedious job. Curious; what tolerances were the resistors? Thanks for sharing.
dlgoff said:I just downloaded the the Instruction Manual DB877_im.pdf
Milliohms?geoelectronics said:Accuracy ... Initial (0.01% + 7 milliohms)
Do you have a way of testing these resistors? I'm guessing a wheatstone bridge?That must have been an expensive piece of test equipment in it's day.The switches are ceramic form, solid silver in most and each contact uses the upper and lower segments in parallel
PM me a link if you don't mind. I'd like to see more of your handy work. :)geoelectronics said:I've written about some others like Leeds & Northrup on eHam.
Do you have a way of testing these resistors? I'm guessing a wheatstone bridge?"The number/code engraved into the cathode is 534-84. So I'm assuming the tube was made in 1984.Bystander said:How old? The He diffuses through the glass that quickly that He-Ne's have to be "stale-dated?" Was aware of the "problem," but not that it was that significant.