Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Beauty Electrical Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I'll be posting some pictures later of an old Universal Radio I'm in the process of restoring but now I'm working late depositing copper onto glass and took a few pictures.
Up on post 269 I added a New part to the vacuum system. Since my house electrical circuit that powers the pumps (three of them) can't handle the surge on power up, I had to add a couple more New parts; time delay relays.
The vacuum deposition system:
The time delay relays:
Copper being deposited on glass slide slip covers:
Up on post 269 I added a New part to the vacuum system. Since my house electrical circuit that powers the pumps (three of them) can't handle the surge on power up, I had to add a couple more New parts; time delay relays.
The vacuum deposition system:
The time delay relays:
Copper being deposited on glass slide slip covers:
Attachments
- 20,002
- 11,120
I copied over a bunch of these wonderful images to our pinterest account
https://www.pinterest.com/physicsforums/vintage-devices/
https://www.pinterest.com/physicsforums/vintage-devices/
Fred Wright
- 376
- 229
When I was 13 y.o. a neighbor gave me a copy of that book. I devoured it. I built a one tube (6J6 I believe) 10 watt 40m cw transmitter from its pages. It started a fire in my belly to learn electronics and mathematics not to mention the indescribable thrill of transmitting "cq cq cq de wb6pnm" and getting a response from a station over 1000 miles away with equipment I had built with my own hands. I wanted to know how my antenna radiated radio waves and I wanted to know how the ionosphere worked. I had thousands of questions. My father (a physicist) said; "You will only get the answers if you go to university and learn experimental physics". So I did. Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.dlgoff said:I consider first hand information like this to be like peer review information. I'm going to change it to the 5U4. Thank you. :)
Here's a future beauty I'll be working on but it's what's on top that's very special to me.
View attachment 175212
View attachment 175213
View attachment 175214
It was a gift from a good friend and I used it to look up the base diagrams for the tubes in order to verify they were indeed interchangeable. ;)
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.
Peace
Fred
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I'm so happy that you see the value of this thread and that it has brought you happiness too. Thank You.Fred Wright said:Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.
- 32,819
- 4,724
I have several rather old microscopes, two of them shown in the photo:
And then I got this multimeter from a friend who was having a garage sale and was selling it for $1. He wanted to just give it to me when I told him that I wanted it, but I forced him to take the $1. :)
The wooden case by itself is fascinating. And yes, it still works.
Zz.
And then I got this multimeter from a friend who was having a garage sale and was selling it for $1. He wanted to just give it to me when I told him that I wanted it, but I forced him to take the $1. :)
The wooden case by itself is fascinating. And yes, it still works.
Zz.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I'm honored Greg. Thank You.Greg Bernhardt said:I copied over a bunch of these wonderful images to our pinterest account
https://www.pinterest.com/physicsforums/vintage-devices/

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I'm just now getting around to restoring this Universal Radio.
I doubt that it's power plug would get a Underwriters Laboratories endorsement.
What I really find interesting is it's name plate; ... ONLY FOR RADIO AMATEUR, EXPERIMENTAL AND BROADCAST RECEPTION.
I doubt that it's power plug would get a Underwriters Laboratories endorsement.
What I really find interesting is it's name plate; ... ONLY FOR RADIO AMATEUR, EXPERIMENTAL AND BROADCAST RECEPTION.
Attachments
jerromyjon
- 1,244
- 189
You mean these things in my "ceiling"? They are still where they were installed although I have no clue how many decades since they were used. It was a bar in the 1930's.dlgoff said:Hence the name, knob and tube wiring. I haven't acquired any tubes however.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
According to the Wikipedia page Knob-and-tube wiring, they werejerromyjon said:You mean these things in my "ceiling"? They are still where they were installed although I have no clue how many decades since they were used. It was a bar in the 1930's.
View attachment 223505 View attachment 223506
Since that post I've acquired a couple of those "tubes".in common use in North America from about 1880 to the 1930s.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Except for one (a 6F6 GT which may have been a replacement tube?), they're all metal tubes.jim hardy said:What tubes does it use ?
Edit: @jim hardy, oops. There's another glass tube. The magic eye vacuum tube (6U5, 6G5).
Attachments
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Thanks Jim. I'll post a list of these tubes here. The last time (many years now) I powered it up, it received just fine.jim hardy said:Ahhh Octals ? :Local junkshop had a bushel of #30's. I'll see what else is there next week. old jim.
The 6U5,6G5 has 6 pins.Ahhh Octals ?
Last edited:
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Great collection!
No slide rule or adding machine to top it off?
No TKD breakage either! Kids are kids.
No slide rule or adding machine to top it off?
No TKD breakage either! Kids are kids.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Well, way back when I posted this:jedishrfu said:No slide rule or adding machine to top it off?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/my-old-computer-collection.727751/#post-4774103
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Nice collection. I have a couple of decitrig loglog bamboo slide rules and a pocket circular Concise slide rule with an embedded periodic table and other scientific constants insert. I also have an addiator, a handheld mechanical adder/subtractor that fascinated me as a kid.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Photos?jedishrfu said:Nice collection. I have a couple of decitrig loglog bamboo slide rules and a pocket circular Concise slide rule with an embedded periodic table and other scientific constants insert. I also have an addiator, a handheld mechanical adder/subtractor that fascinated me as a kid.
OldWorldBlues
- 26
- 3
That's awesome! You're probably a lot older than me, but I love that old aesthetic too :)
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I finally got around to cleaning up the antenna for the Narco Superhomer VHT-3 navigation receiver. Here's how it looked initially:
Here it is with new paint:
I mounted it on a box so it could be mounted in place of the one I built. And like the old one, it has the Physics Forums logo that hopefully @Greg Bernhardt will like.
I mounted the antenna and just finished testing it with the Superhomer receiver. All functions tested okay. It's dark out now so I'll add a mounted picture later.
Here it is with new paint:
I mounted it on a box so it could be mounted in place of the one I built. And like the old one, it has the Physics Forums logo that hopefully @Greg Bernhardt will like.
I mounted the antenna and just finished testing it with the Superhomer receiver. All functions tested okay. It's dark out now so I'll add a mounted picture later.
Attachments
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
How does it work navigation wise? Were there fixed transmitting stations and triangulation methods to determine your location? Or was that done by receiver magic?
- 3,777
- 2,002
I used to have a camera like the one on the left. It had been my parent's. I even used it when I was first into photography back in the late '70s. The negatives were large enough that you could produce a good print just using the contact method, and without needing a enlarger. I do still have my folk's Bell & Howell movie camera from the late '50s, still in working condition.dlgoff said:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Navigation is done by the VHF omni directional radio range (VOR) technique. From the Wikipedia page:jedishrfu said:How does it work navigation wise? Were there fixed transmitting stations and triangulation methods to determine your location? Or was that done by receiver magic?
A VOR ground station sends out an omnidirectional master signal, and a highly directional second signal is propagated by a phased antenna array and rotates clockwise in space 30 times a second. This signal is timed so that its phase (compared to the master) varies as the secondary signal rotates, and this phase difference is the same as the angular direction of the 'spinning' signal, (so that when the signal is being sent 90 degrees clockwise from north, the signal is 90 degrees out of phase with the master). By comparing the phase of the secondary signal with the master, the angle (bearing) to the aircraft from the station can be determined. ...
- 3,777
- 2,002
The basic system has been explained. For the pilot, It is used this way: you tune your VOR receiver to the station you are using to navigate by. Then you adjust your VOR to the heading you want with respect to the station. A indicator will tell you whether you are flying to or away from the station (it also informs you if you are within range for the signal). A needle will deflect either right or left, which tells you what direction you need to fly to get on the wanted heading with respect to the station. You then just "Fly the needle"(Keep the needle centered ) to fly to or from the VOR station.jedishrfu said:How does it work navigation wise? Were there fixed transmitting stations and triangulation methods to determine your location? Or was that done by receiver magic?