Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Featured
Be a day or two to get them all powdered and rouged for the camera.
"Powdered and rouged"...todays youngsters have no idea what you are talking about. At 75 I do! Somewhere I may still have a "belly-button Brownie"...remember those? Back in the early 50's my Dad and I were on a trip where he returned from the bathroom laughing so hard he was choking on his tobacco chew. I asked what was so funny, and he told me someone had taken the Kodak counter ad-sign that said "Film for your Brownie"...and placed over the toilet paper roll. We both laughed for a 100 miles.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don, as you can see by my 65 Mustang I am an old car guy. One thing you may not know is, if you have old hard rubber items, say headphone covers, wipe them generously with lacquer thinner to soften them. It works great on old rubber car parts, like window seals that are no longer available. Afterwards, Armorall helps keep them soft. Phosphoric acid works great on old rusty metal...but don't drop an old Rare 40 Ford rearview mirror in it overnight...next morning glass is all that is left.
Don, I forgot...Pot metal is not safe around phosphoric acid...which I learned the hard way.
Thanks Charlie. I'll certainly keep these in mind. :thumbup:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don, I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere near Detroit, this may interest you .....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63022552

a bunch of older Motorola test gear for sale

Dave

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don, I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere near Detroit, this may interest you .....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63022552

a bunch of older Motorola test gear for sale

Dave
Wow Dave. That's some good looking test equipment. Thanks for thinking of me. Unfortunately I live west of Kansas City, so it would be a fairly long drive for this old man.
kctodetroit.png

That and it's really cold this winter. :oldcry:

Attachments

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks for thinking of me.

you're welcome :smile:

That and it's really cold this winter.
one of the hottest summers on record for parts of Australia It's been dreadful
So many days over 40C (104F) so far. the hottest in my area has been 43C
the record is 52C (125F) in northern South Australia State .... just crazy

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a photo of my vacuum system, made of old stuff, doing a pump-down. Here, the beauty is in "system's" reliability. After hundreds of pump-downs, never a component failure.

reliability_1.jpg

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was given a B&K Tube Tester panel that was covered with dryed mud. After lots of cleaning I built a wooden box frame for mounting the tube tester on. Here are a couple pictures of this old beauty from around 1959.

The thing works very well so I'll be putting it to good use.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
The thing works very well so I'll be putting it to good use.
Don i just have to remark on the craftsmanship you demonstrate in your restorations of these beautiful old pieces.

C'est Beaux , mon ami !

old jim

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don i just have to remark on the craftsmanship you demonstrate in your restorations of these beautiful old pieces.

C'est Beaux , mon ami !

old jim
Thank you Jim.

Before I went to Elkins Institute to become a TV service tech (TV repairman in my day) I used one of theses at the local 7-11 to keep our TV's working. They worked great...the tester and our TV. How times have changed!

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Along with the B&K 550 tube tester, I was also give it's tube chart and it's B&K 610 expansion panel.

Here's a couple pictures of the expansion panel. IMO the 610's beauty comes from it's rotary switches.

Here's the tube tester with it's expansion panel & chart:

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
The silkscreenng looks pristine,

resistors are all oriented so color code reads L to R
service loops in all the wires

Somebody took pride in his workmanship.

What a find !

old jim

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
And I thought I was the only person who did that in my hand-built boards... :smile:

naaaa, all us good techies do that. It was ingrained into us not long after "Adam was a boy" :smile:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've got my old vacuum system beauty,

reliability_1-jpg.jpg

all pumped down.

Now I'm going to try depositing a layer of gold one some round glass microscope slip covers (cleaned and coated with a thin layer of "clear" exposed photo-resist). I find that the photo-resist makes for a stronger metal bond. This same type of photo resist will then be used to etch a pattern on the gold layer. Here's a photograph showing the gold sample before it gets melted.