Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
I'm a thousand miles away for the summer. Several other items. Posted to bookmark the thread.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Wow that's quite collectible. So you said it had a CRT and not nixie tube digits.

Is it an HP 9100?

https://history-computer.com/hewlett-packard-9100a-guide/
I'm not sure what part of this thread you are referring to. Can you post the page you are asking about?
@berkeman
Since you liked the post, maybe you know?

dlgoff said:
I'm not sure what part of this thread you are referring to. Can you post the page you are asking about?
I think they are referring to this post by new member @Opera:
Opera said:
I have the first HP desk calculator with a CRT and delay line for memory. It has this interesting feature; the keyboard mechanically locks up while it is doing a calculation. Odd that this was easier done mechanically than with electronics. I'm away so will picture some stuff later.

berkeman said:
I think they are referring to this post by new member @Opera:
Oh. Now I understand. Forget the request in my previous post.

Thank you.

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
When you get old, you get forgetful, so I don't remember if I've posted this old Model 83 Fluke Meter:
model 83 Fluke.jpg

Likes DennisN
Who you calling old? I have a couple of those in our lab... :smile:

• Haha
Likes Averagesupernova, DaveE and dlgoff
BTW, have you ever tried to replace the fuse for the uA/mA current measurement input? What a weird size fuse!

berkeman said:
BTW, have you ever tried to replace the fuse for the uA/mA current measurement input? What a weird size fuse!
It was a long time ago, but I do recall. I'm not wanting to open it up, but didn't it have a very small diameter glass fuse? Do you remember when those meters were introduced?

I'd never call you old as I'm the old one here.

IIRC, the fuse was physically bigger than the standard sizes that we carried in labstock. I think I even checked the local electronics stores, with no joy. I have at least a couple of those meters with blown mA circuit fuses and notes on them to let the operators know.

berkeman said:
IIRC, the fuse was bigger than the standard sizes that we carried in labstock.
Now you've got me curious. I will have to open it a check it out. From some google searching, it looks like it came out in the 1980's.

berkeman said:
IIRC, the fuse was physically bigger than the standard sizes
Yes. You're right. They're really large:
fuses.jpg

• Informative
Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
Yes. You're right. They're really large:
View attachment 304279
We used a bunch of those fuses (KTK, KLK) in our Ion Lasers. They're rated to interrupt HV DC and/or high interrupting capacity, hence big and expensive. Full of glass/sand around the filament.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and dlgoff
DaveE said:
our Ion Lasers
I'd like to see one of those. :)

dlgoff said:
I'd like to see one of those. :)
Eye safety precludes that.

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, berkeman and dlgoff
This might qualify for the thread, wife picked it up at a yard sale along with a nice arrowhead collection for $5.00. The plastic battery case is cracked but it works great, ordered replacement cases from ebay, just waiting on them to arrive before using it. It's a model 63TR, circa 1974.
IMG-1201.jpg

IMG-1207.jpg
IMG-1226.jpg

Likes DennisN, berkeman, dlgoff and 1 other person
Oldman too said:
This might qualify for the thread, wife picked it up at a yard sale along with a nice arrowhead collection for $5.00. The plastic battery case is cracked but it works great, ordered replacement cases from ebay, just waiting on them to arrive before using it. It's a model 63TR, circa 1974.
View attachment 304497
View attachment 304498View attachment 304499
My parents did a lot of hunting for old coins with White's metal detectors.

Likes Oldman too and jedishrfu
dlgoff said:
My parents did a lot of hunting for old coins with White's metal detectors.
That's one of my wife's obsessions, along with gold, fossils, rock hunting etc. While searching for battery parts, I was dismayed to learn that Whites recently went out of business, then I found out Garret had taken over the Whites label. I still had to go to ebay to find the parts though.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
Cleaning up a bit at my mother's house, I found some old electronic parts my father saved. He was an EE (too) from 1950's - 1970's. This one caught my eye. GE 2N107, packaged in it's own tube with a datasheet printed on vellum.

20221018_151242.jpg

So, knowing I had no desire to actually use it, I cut it open to see the guts.

20221024_165743_HDR.jpg

20221024_170124.jpg

20221024_170612.jpg

That transistor die is about 3mm x 3mm. If you wanted to make a modern uP with about 20 billion transistors, it would cover about 1/2 mile2.

It is beautiful to me, in it's appropriate context. Back when a single transistor was high tech.

• Love
Likes Klystron, berkeman, DennisN and 3 others
Point contact. Wow that is neat. Thanks

The 2N107/2N170 pair were the hobbyist transistors of the late 50's and early 60's. In the 70's I worked for a company that was still using the 2N1370 series germanium transistors. Some of the old circuits with germanium won't work with silicon.

And as The Antique Roadshow appraiser would say:
Wow, now if only that was an intact transistor, it would be worth $XXX,XXX dollars at auction and maybe even as high as $X,XXX,XXX but sadly now its worth $X-$XX

• Haha
Likes DaveE and berkeman
Yeah, it was sad to see that an antique complete with papers, was dissected.

• Haha
Likes DaveE
Yeah, it seems only Robots and the @Borg can appreciate the sadness of having one of our single celled ancestors dissected in the name of curiosity.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, DennisN, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Here are a couple of old beauties. Too bad they don't work:
IMG_3818.JPG

• Love
Likes collinsmark, anorlunda, Borg and 2 others
@dlgoff :
"r/hr"... I had to google for it. "Roentgen/hour" I suppose?
And if so, I guess they are some sort of radiation detectors/radiation measuring devices?

Likes jedishrfu
DennisN said:
Roentgen/hour
Yes.

Likes jedishrfu and DennisN
Are the batteries dead, or is there something about the detectors reaching the end of life?

jedishrfu said:
Are the batteries dead, or is there something about the detectors reaching the end of life?
I put in a new battery and the one on the left one looks okay doing a "circuit check". So must have been a dead battery. The one on the right still doesn't work with a new battery. :(

Likes collinsmark
jedishrfu said:
This old Ludlum (counts/minute) works good though:
Ludlum.jpg

Likes Klystron, DennisN and collinsmark
dlgoff said:
Here are a couple of old beauties. Too bad they don't work:
Since they are "identical" they should be a breeze to troubleshoot, especially if you have an oscilloscope available.

If that's not your thing, post schematics, photos, and whatever voltage readings you can get. I suspect the combined grey-matter mass here would solve the problem shortly.

Tom.G said:
Since they are "identical" they should be a breeze to troubleshoot, especially if you have an oscilloscope available.

If that's not your thing, post schematics, photos, and whatever voltage readings you can get. I suspect the combined grey-matter mass here would solve the problem shortly.
I have an old Heathkit scope. If you look back through this thread, you'll see that I've restored many old beauties. But in this case, I just don't want to take the time and effort to restore that old counter. Thanks for the offer though.

dlgoff said:
I just don't want to take the time and effort to restore that old counter.
Yup. My experience repairing old test equipment goes like this:
You can either diagnose and fix it quickly, like 1 hour, or it's nearly impossible and will take much more time than it's worth.

I also like the "buy two broken ones, make one that works and throw out the rest" approach*. Swapping parts/modules often doesn't require a lot of knowledge or effort.

The sad, painful, truth is that if you just want to make a measurement, you can probably buy a new version from China on eBay for less effort, time, and money than repairing the old stuff. But then part of your DIY EE soul will die with each purchase.

* Full disclosure: I'm actually not that good at the "throwing out the junk" part of this.

Likes DrClaude, Bystander, collinsmark and 2 others