Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
dlgoff said:
@arnorlunda
Do you think it's rare or worth anything?
I'm not an expert on antiques or collectibles. But I think Seth Thomas is quality but not rare.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I'm not an expert on antiques or collectibles. But I think Seth Thomas is quality but not rare.
Thank you. I did some google searching but couldn't find one like it.

Here's another big beauty that's needing a lot of work (it does involve a little electricity):
plane-1.jpg

plane-2.jpg

plane-3.jpg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and berkeman
I got the old clock mounted with my other meters and gauges (which needs some glass cleaning).
clock mount.jpg

Likes collinsmark, anorlunda and berkeman
Looks nice on that wall. Looks like you're running out of wall space, though! :smile:

Is it running? .does it keep good time?

anorlunda said:
The hands are in a different position compared to the previous pictures, so I'm assuming it is running. I want to know if it chimes every 15 minutes... :smile:

Likes anorlunda
berkeman said:
Looks nice on that wall. Looks like you're running out of wall space, though! :smile:
I am. Had to use one of my book shelf stands in my storm shelter for the radios in there. Now I've got stacks of books in the spare bedroom. :oldcry:

anorlunda said:
It runs for a while then stops. I'm going to open the clock mechanisms and do a little cleaning, etc. It chimes okay if you manually set the hands.

berkeman said:
I want to know if it chimes every 15 minutes...
No. Only on the hour. Thank goodness.

Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
It runs for a while then stops. I'm going to open the clock mechanisms and do a little cleaning, etc. It chimes okay if you manually set the hands.
The effective way to clean a clock works is in an ultrasonic bath. That would mean removing the works and finding someplace to send it off for cleaning. That may be more effort than you care to invest.

It is easy to overlook the time, trouble and expense that prior generations had to spend to keep their mechanical timepieces functional.

Edit: That reminds me of another thing I miss from my years on the boat. The ships clock, sounding up to 8 bells every watch became an important part of our lives.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
anorlunda said:
I've gotten it running great. It looses just about 30 seconds/hour; I'll shorten the pendulum length a little. There's a very fine thread screw built into the hanging mass:
pendulum.jpg

Once I got the hands in the right position for the chiming, it has chimed the correct number of time every hour.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
anorlunda said:
The effective way to clean a clock works is in an ultrasonic bath.
I have an heated ultrasonic cleaner that I use on my optical project; which had been neglected for a year or so, but I've already got it going without much cleaning. (See above post)

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes anorlunda
dlgoff said:
I have an heated ultrasonic cleaner that I use on my optical project; which had been neglected for a year or so, but I've already got it going without much cleaning. (See above post)
Very cool. A while back, I was doing some research into mechanical wind up mantel clocks, and I finally learned from a youtube video the reasoning behind "don't apply too much oil to a clock". I just always thought it was to keep things neat and clean (pride in workmanship), and to avoid accumulating dust that might work its way into the bearing.

But it was explained that just the right amount of oil was enough so that the surface tension held the oil drop in place, clinging to the bearing. This kept it oiled for a reasonably long time. If you applied "too much", it would run out, break the surface tension, and you ended up with less oil in the bearing. So a little counterintuitive, but I think Mies van der Rohe would agree "Less is More".

Maybe this is common knowledge, but it was new to me.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, dlgoff and Tom.G
Likes collinsmark, sysprog and berkeman
berkeman said:
I'm now out of space on this wall. Here is my last meter; Bendix microwave frequency meter:
small Bendix Frequency Meter.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, osilmag and anorlunda
My aunt and uncle collected stuff from auctions. When their house got full of stuff, they bought the house next door. When that house filled, they bought the house next to that. :oldlove:

BTW, I love that quote from Jim Hardy. He was the Mark Twain of his age.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
I'm now out of space on this wall. Here is my last meter; Bendix microwave frequency meter:
View attachment 289450
I had to raise it up a little. Too much weight on the clock:
small Bendix Frequency Meter-2.jpg

anorlunda said:
BTW, I love that quote from Jim Hardy. He was the Mark Twain of his age.
He was indeed. I remember asking him if it were okay to use this quote and his name.

Likes anorlunda
  • Informative
Likes Borg, anorlunda and dlgoff
berkeman said:
I started to give you a warning for a political post, but then realized that it seems to apply to both political parties. So nevermind... :wink:
You know, I never thought about the rules about political post. Thanks @berkeman

Here's a beauty that fits the title of this thread. I mounted on my meter and gauge wall:
It's a MODEL 3 Survey Meter made by Ludlum Measurements Inc.
The meters unit of measurement is Counts/Minute.

small Survey-3.jpg

small Survey-4.jpg

Likes collinsmark, gmax137 and anorlunda
My mentor Andy Anderson, W0AFQ, bought me an EICO Model 565 multi-meter kit so I could learn to solder. After putting it together, it didn't work, so Andy opened it and soldered all the cold joints. I did learn how to solder correctly; thanks Andy. The needle was broken into several pieces, so I tried to "glue" it back together. Here's a photo of it on my meter wall:

IMG_3660.JPG

Likes collinsmark, berkeman and anorlunda
Here are some beauties. They're not electrical but are really old. Most came from Arkansas and some from Kansas.
Arrow Heads.jpg

I'm going to use silicone sealant to attach them to the board.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Bystander
Here are the arrow heads after they were attached with silicone sealant:
IMG_3670.JPG

Likes Oldman too, Kstarlove1728, anorlunda and 2 others
Okay, finally something electrical that I know I haven't shown here before. I bought these little robots from Radio Shack back before they filed chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2015:
RSrobot-1.jpg

Likes luben, collinsmark, jedishrfu and 2 others
I didn't know robots could file for bankruptcy! :wink:

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, bob012345, DennisN and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I didn't know robots could file for bankruptcy! :wink:
Maybe they were charged too much?

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Borg, hutchphd and 1 other person
Here's a beauty that's only electrical in that it was related to Television. I was helping this lady clean out a storage unit at an apartment complex. She wanted me to put all the stuff in a dumpster. But I just couldn't throw this away. It's a television press pass for the Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis II boxing match on November 13, 1999:
small IMG_3712+.jpg

There's a Turkey sticker on it making it kind of appropriate for this time of the year.

• Love
Likes DennisN, Tom.G and jedishrfu
I've never used this with my vacuum system (which IS electrical) as it looks too fragile for the low pressures my system can achieve so it's just one of my "Beauties" that I look at.
belljar-1.jpg

It has a copper sealing ring on the bottom.
belljar-2.jpg

Likes anorlunda, DennisN, collinsmark and 2 others
Here's something you don't see much these days:

small tape-1.jpg

small tape-2.jpg

I wish I had a machine to use it with.

Attachments

• small tape-2-2.jpg
    small tape-2-2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 69
Likes DennisN
Oh wow. That's all I had when I was in my early teens. My dad used it for some audio recording that he was doing, and I was able to buy a couple reel-to-reel tapes to listen to (I pretty much wore out my copy of Santana Abraxas). :smile:

• Love
Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
I pretty much wore out my copy of Santana
I can for sure understand that. I've got lots of their music. Luckily, it all digital on my PC.

Likes berkeman