Bee Sting Immunity: Developing Tolerance & Immunity Questions

• Thread starter Rolliet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    allergy
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of developing a tolerance to bee stings and the use of medication to counteract allergic reactions. The speaker shared their personal experience of being prescribed an "Epi" pen for their bee sting allergy, but eventually developing a tolerance and no longer needing the pen. The question was raised about the medical sense of this occurrence and whether the immunity would go away if the person did not get stung for a period of time. The speaker suggested discussing the situation with a doctor, as a sensitivity to bee stings typically worsens and can be life-threatening.
Rolliet
Many years ago I was acutely allergic to bee stings. I was prescribed a "Epi" pen and used it several times. Eventually however, I noticed I had developed a tolerance to bee stings, and no longer carry my epi pen. Rather, I take a couple of Benytril and go on with my day. Does it make medical sense that one could develop a tolerance with the occasional bee sting? Will the immunity go away if I don't get stung again for a period of time?

Biology news on Phys.org
No it is not normal, a sensitivity to bee stings usually gets worse and can cause death. I suggest you discuss your case with your doctor, perhaps you were miss-diagnosed.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman

1. What is bee sting immunity?

Bee sting immunity refers to the body's ability to tolerate and develop immunity to the venom produced by bee stings. This means that the body does not have a severe or life-threatening reaction to bee stings and is able to defend against the venom in the future.

2. How does one develop tolerance and immunity to bee stings?

Developing tolerance and immunity to bee stings involves repeated exposure to bee venom. This can be done through controlled exposure, such as receiving small doses of bee venom under the supervision of a medical professional. Over time, the body will build up a tolerance and develop immunity to the venom.

3. Can anyone develop bee sting immunity?

Yes, anyone can develop bee sting immunity through controlled exposure to bee venom. However, individuals who have severe allergies to bee stings or have a history of anaphylaxis should not attempt to develop bee sting immunity without consulting a medical professional.

4. What are the benefits of developing bee sting immunity?

The main benefit of developing bee sting immunity is protection against potentially life-threatening reactions to bee stings. It can also reduce the need for emergency medical treatment and decrease the fear and anxiety associated with bee stings.

5. Are there any risks or side effects of developing bee sting immunity?

There is a risk of allergic reactions or anaphylaxis during the process of developing bee sting immunity. Therefore, it is important to work with a medical professional who can monitor the process and intervene if necessary. Some individuals may also experience mild reactions, such as swelling or redness at the site of exposure, but these are typically temporary and not life-threatening.