Beginning Antiderivative Question

In summary, the antiderivative of F(x) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{x}} can be found using the power rule for antidifferentiation. The sqrt(5) term is simply a constant and does not need to be included in the antiderivative. Therefore, the antiderivative would be (\sqrt{5})(2\sqrt{x}) + C or 2\sqrt{5x} + C.
calisoca

Homework Statement

Find the antiderivative of [tex] F(x) \ = \ \sqrt{\frac{5}{x}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] F(x) \ = \ \sqrt{\frac{5}{x}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) [tex] F(x) \ = \ \sqrt{\frac{5}{x}} [/tex]

2.) [tex] F(x) \ = \ (\frac{5}{x})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

3.) [tex] F(x) \ = \ \frac{5^\frac{1}{2}}{x^\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

4.) [tex] F(x) \ = \ (5^\frac{1}{2})(x^\frac{-1}{2}) [/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I can find the antiderivative of the [tex] x^\frac{-1}{2} [/tex] term, which would be [tex] 2\sqrt{x} [/tex], but I'm not sure where to go with the [tex] 5^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] term.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the power rule for antidifferentiation. If n != -1,
[tex]
\int x^{n} dx
= \frac{x^{n + 1}}{n + 1} + C
[/tex]

The sqrt(5) is merely a constant. Integrating functions is similar to differentiating functions. If I asked you to find d(kf(x))/dx where k is a constant, you would likely say kf'(x). Apply similar thinking when applying anti-differentiation.

Well, I know that, for example, if asked to find the antiderivative of 5, the answer would be [tex] 5x + C [/tex].

I was trying to use similar logic here by saying [tex] 5^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] would become something like [tex] \frac{10\sqrt{x^3}}{3} [/tex]. However, that didn't seem right.

So, if I follow the logic that [tex] kf(x) [/tex] derives to [tex] k\frac{df}{dx} [/tex], and since [tex] 5^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] is simply a constant, then I would just leave it as is.

Thus, the antiderivative would be [tex] (\sqrt{5})(2\sqrt{x}) [/tex].

Am I understanding this correctly?

You are understanding it correctly.

Thank you very much everyone for all of your help!

calisoca said:
Well, I know that, for example, if asked to find the antiderivative of 5, the answer would be [tex] 5x + C [/tex].

I was trying to use similar logic here by saying [tex] 5^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] would become something like [tex] \frac{10\sqrt{x^3}}{3} [/tex]. However, that didn't seem right.

So, if I follow the logic that [tex] kf(x) [/tex] derives to [tex] k\frac{df}{dx} [/tex], and since [tex] 5^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] is simply a constant, then I would just leave it as is.

Thus, the antiderivative would be [tex] (\sqrt{5})(2\sqrt{x}) [/tex].

Am I understanding this correctly?
Which, of course, is the same as [tex]2\sqrt{5x}+ C[/tex] so that it is in the same form as the original function (and don't forget the "C").

Yes, of course! Thank you, HallsofIvy.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you need to use integration. This involves finding a function whose derivative is the given function. There are several techniques for finding antiderivatives, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

3. What is the difference between an indefinite and definite antiderivative?

An indefinite antiderivative does not have specific limits of integration and can include a constant term. It represents a family of functions that have the same derivative. A definite antiderivative has specific limits of integration and does not include a constant term. It represents a single function.

4. Can any function have an antiderivative?

No, not every function has an antiderivative. For a function to have an antiderivative, it must be continuous and have a continuous derivative on its domain. If these conditions are not met, the function does not have an antiderivative.

5. How are antiderivatives used in real-life applications?

Antiderivatives are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-life phenomena. They are also used in calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes, as well as in solving differential equations that describe natural phenomena.