Behavior of a tangent light beam to an event horizon?

In summary, according to present theory, a laser photon stream will behave in a way that it will curve inwards towards the event horizon, but will not be able to orbit the black hole. The photon stream could potentially be split at the EH, with one branch spiraling into the black hole and the other following a geodesic path outside the EH. This behavior is described by the "photon sphere" phenomenon, which is dependent on the rotation of the black hole. The EH is a lightlike hypersurface in spacetime, and any particles or photons that stay on the EH are not considered to be "in orbit". The EH has a radial coordinate of 2GM/c2 in Schwarzschild coordinates, while the central sing
SW VandeCarr
Given present theory, how would a laser photon stream behave at a tangent point to an event horizon (EH)? Is it possible for a photon stream to orbit a black hole? Could the beam be split at the EH with one branch spiraling into the black hole while one branch follows some geodesic (perhaps not a stable orbit) outside the EH?

Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
Given present theory, how would a laser photon stream behave at a tangent point to an event horizon (EH)? Is it possible for a photon stream to orbit a black hole? Could the beam be split at the EH with one branch spiraling into the black hole while one branch follows some geodesic (perhaps not a stable orbit) outside the EH?

From the viewpoint of an observer who is at rest anywhere outside the EH, time slows towards a standstill at points approaching the event horizon, and is completely at a standstill at the event horizon itself. Close to the horizon, tangential light will curve inwards more sharply than the horizon and will fall in. Further out, at radius 3GM/c2 in Schwarzschild coordinates, there is a phenomenon known as the "photon sphere" (look it up) which is where the curvature of tangential light paths means that they can in theory travel round in circular orbits.

Consider spherical coordinates [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex]. For something in circular orbit (photon or massive particle), [itex]r[/itex] is constant, but at least one of [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] changes as the particle orbits.

Circular orbits for photons lie above the event horizon; see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1812881#post1812881.

The event horizon is a lightlike hypersurface in spacetime, but photons that stay on the event horizon have constant, [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex], and consequently aren't "in orbit".

If you want, I can fill in some of the mathematics later (going out with my family soon, so I don't have time now).

Jonathan Scott said:
From the viewpoint of an observer who is at rest anywhere outside the EH, time slows towards a standstill at points approaching the event horizon, and is completely at a standstill at the event horizon itself. Close to the horizon, tangential light will curve inwards more sharply than the horizon and will fall in. Further out, at radius 3GM/c2 in Schwarzschild coordinates, there is a phenomenon known as the "photon sphere" (look it up) which is where the curvature of tangential light paths means that they can in theory travel round in circular orbits.

By "at rest" I assume you mean with respect to the black hole. (Excuse me if this is a given. This is not my field.) Also you're saying that a laser beam cannot contact the EH at a tangent point but must fall into the black hole at some angle to the tangent?

I've heard of the Schwarzschild radius. Can I take it that the radius of the black hole at the EH is also is also some function of 3GM/c^2?

EDIT: I've looked up the photon sphere. It appears the situation depends on whether the black hole is rotating or not. Fascinating stuff. Would this have anything to do with closed time loops? Thanks.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
The event horizon is a lightlike hypersurface in spacetime, but photons that stay on the event horizon have constant, [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex], and consequently aren't "in orbit".

If you want, I can fill in some of the mathematics later (going out with my family soon, so I don't have time now).

Yes, I understand that all the information contained in a black hole is on the EH. Is this a consequence of our limits of observation or can we meaningfully talk about a photon (or anything else) falling toward the singularity inside the EH?

If you can provide some mathematics I would appreciate it. I would guess we could model the behavior of particles trapped inside the EH although this behavior is inherently unobservable. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've found the mathematics I want. It appears the situation with the photon sphere is dependent on whether the black hole is rotating or not.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
By "at rest" I assume you mean with respect to the black hole. (Excuse me if this is a given. This is not my field.) Also you're saying that a laser beam cannot contact the EH at a tangent point but must fall into the black hole at some angle?

I've heard of the Schwarzschild radius. Can I take it that the radius of the BH at the EH is also is also some function of 3GM/c^2?

I've looked up the photon sphere. Fascinating stuff. Would this have anything to do with closed time loops? Thanks.

From the point of view of an outside observer, things slow down to a standstill as they get close to the EH, including light, so any description of motion of any sort is not consistent with that point of view. If you shine a light tangentially anywhere close to the EH, it will curve down, so it will turn towards the EH, although it takes forever to reach it.

The radial coordinate of the EH in Schwarzschild coordinates is 2GM/c2, known as the Schwarzschild radius, and the location of the black hole central singularity in the same coordinates is radial coordinate 0. Note that a "radial coordinate" is not really the same as a "radius"; as space is so far from flat, we have to adopt particular conventions for labelling points, in a similar way to the way in which we map the curved surface of the Earth to flat maps using a variety of projections.

As far as I know, photon spheres have nothing at all to do with "closed time loops" nor even closed timelike curves, which might be what you were suggesting.

1. How does a tangent light beam behave near an event horizon?

The behavior of a tangent light beam near an event horizon is influenced by the intense gravitational pull of the black hole. As the light beam approaches the event horizon, it appears to slow down and stretch out, a phenomenon known as gravitational redshift. At the event horizon itself, the light beam will appear to freeze in place and never cross the boundary.

2. Can a tangent light beam escape from an event horizon?

No, a tangent light beam cannot escape from an event horizon. The intense gravitational pull of the black hole is strong enough to trap even the fastest moving particles, including light. Once a light beam crosses the event horizon, it can never escape or be observed again.

3. What happens to a tangent light beam after it crosses the event horizon?

After crossing the event horizon, the tangent light beam will continue to travel towards the center of the black hole. As it gets closer to the singularity, the light beam will experience extreme time dilation and will eventually be completely absorbed by the black hole, adding to its mass.

4. How does the curvature of spacetime affect the behavior of a tangent light beam near an event horizon?

The intense curvature of spacetime near an event horizon is what causes the unusual behavior of a tangent light beam. The strong gravitational pull of the black hole warps the fabric of spacetime, causing light to appear to slow down and change direction as it approaches the event horizon.

5. Why is the behavior of a tangent light beam near an event horizon important to study?

Studying the behavior of a tangent light beam near an event horizon can provide valuable insights into the nature of black holes and the laws of physics that govern them. It also has practical applications, such as helping us better understand how light is affected by extremely strong gravitational fields, which can be useful in fields such as astronomy and astrophysics.