Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Behavior of an ultrasound wave on a particle

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    Hello,

at the moment, I am working on my project of particle acoustic levitation, but I want to move the particles in a certain direction. In order to generate ultrasound wave for moving a particle, I want to use two transducers. Now, my question is: Has the reflection of those sound waves, which bounded on the opposite transducer, an influence on the moving particle?

Thanks, in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Particles move towards the nodes of a standing wave pattern where there is less movement.
    By controlling the phase difference between two transducers that are facing each other you will be able to move the standing wave pattern and so sweep the particles in the nodes into different positions.
    We need more information on the arrangement of your project to be of more help.

4. Mar 2, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your response.
    About the project, the particles are located in a channel and have a certain velocity. With the transducers I want to change the moving direction of the particles and I want to simulate this in MATLAB or ANSYS. The problem for me is that I have never simulate such an application. There are many papers available of similar applications, but not about the simulation (how it is done). Do you have any hints for me to start with the simulation?

Thanks, in advance!

5. Mar 3, 2017 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

That reads like an empty patent application.
    You have not actually described a situation, so I cannot have any idea how you should simulate the situation.
    Is the channel horizontal or vertical? How certain is the velocity? What do you want to happen?
    How many particles are in the channel at one time? How do they get into and out of the channel?

Why not just put a transducer at each end of the channel and experiment with transducer phase difference. Where will the nodes be? Consider what might happen if the frequency of the two transducers were offset by 0.1 Hz.

6. Mar 8, 2017 #5
    Thanks for helping me, but now I want to make it in a different way.
    I would kindly like to apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted