Behavior of the natural log at large values of x

• Thread starter karanmohan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, I am fairly new here, so thank you in advance for your help. This is not a homework problem, just one of curiosity based on my limited knowledge of asymptotic expansions. I'm curious about how the function ln(x) or ln(1+x) behaves for large values of x. Plotting in Matlab, I see a linear behavior, but I am not certain as I cant seem to find an asymptotic expansion anywhere. Any help is appreciated, particularly with references.

Answers and Replies

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The asymptotic behavior of log(x) is log(x). Log is a special thing, just as is exp(x). The exponential function grows faster than power function xa, no matter how large a is. This means that log(x) has to grow slower than any xa, no matter how small a is.

However, there is a lot one can say about log(x+1) for large x. Write x+1=x(1+1/x). Then log(x+1) = log(x(1+1/x)) = log(x) + log(1+1/x) ~ log(x) + 1/x.

thanks for the response....hmm, i cant seem to see a linear behavior in there, despite seeing a somewhat linear behavior when i plot it. Am i just visualizing something?

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
There is no linear behavior. The slope of log(x) approaches zero as x grows toward infinity, but it does so in a weird way: log (x) is of course unbounded.

There is no linear behavior. The slope of log(x) approaches zero as x grows toward infinity, but it does so in a weird way: log (x) is of course unbounded.
This was something that always puzzled me when I was taking calculus. As x increases, the graph of ln(x) "flattens out," but it flattens out so incredibly slowly that it still manages to cross every single horizontal line y=C. It's just such a counter-intuitive phenomenon. Can anyone shed any light into this mystery?

The same intuition that makes people think that ln(x) should have a horizontal asymptote would also make them think that e^x has a vertical asymptote somewhere. How is it that a function which becomes infinitely steep as x goes to infinity manages to still cross every vertical line x=C?

What mystery? It's just [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} log(x) = \infty[/tex]. It doesn't matter how "slow" it gets. It will get there "eventually".

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This was something that always puzzled me when I was taking calculus. As x increases, the graph of ln(x) "flattens out," but it flattens out so incredibly slowly that it still manages to cross every single horizontal line y=C. It's just such a counter-intuitive phenomenon. Can anyone shed any light into this mystery?
I guess I don't see what the mystery is, the part that I boldfaced actually sums it up very well. By the way, the square root function does this too -- though ln(x) does flatten out faster, and grows more slowly, than any positive-power function of x as DH said earlier.

But if you want a real mind-blower, look at a plot of ln(ln(x)), and try imagining that increasing without bound.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The growth of log(x) is closely related to the growth of the Harmonic series
1 + (1/2) + (1/3) + (1/4) + (1/5) + ...​