Poll on Thermodynamics/Statistical Physics books

In summary: They're not meant to be equations. They're meant to show how one line of reasoning leads to another. If you're looking for a book that will give you all the steps in a derivation, you'll be disappointed. That said, I don't think this is a problem for most students. They'll be able to figure out what's going on.It does use a lot of "hence" and "therefore"s, but these are...well, explanatory. They're not meant to be equations. They're meant to show how one line of reasoning leads to another. If you're looking for a book that will give you all the steps in a derivation, you'll be disappointed. That said

Which of these books is the best?

• Thermal Physics by Kittel/Kroemer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Statistical Physics by Mandl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Joker93
Hello!
There are so many Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics books that people suggest, that I don't know which one to use in my upcoming undergraduate course.
So, which one is your favorite?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I own Pathria ( L 8.25 from when the pound was cheap in 1976 :smile: ) and learned a lot from D. ter Haar: Elements of thermostatistics, 1966 (!)
But then and here Stat Mech was a postgraduate item -- and it gave me a hard time so had to take it twice in successive years. For undergraduate engineers I would recommend Y Cengel, but for budding cosmologists it's unsuitable. So: what undergraduate course ?

BvU said:
I own Pathria ( L 8.25 from when the pound was cheap in 1976 :smile: ) and learned a lot from D. ter Haar: Elements of thermostatistics, 1966 (!)
But then and here Stat Mech was a postgraduate item -- and it gave me a hard time so had to take it twice in successive years. For undergraduate engineers I would recommend Y Cengel, but for budding cosmologists it's unsuitable. So: what undergraduate course ?
It's a third year Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics course for physicists. I want a book intended for theoretical physicists but one that also intuitively explains the concepts.

If you are beginning to learn thermodynamics you should go for Schroeder

Third year was postgrad in those days (Netherlands, 1973).
Both I mentioned are half a century old; in view of current developments like black hole thermodynamics and such I would expect you need something better to prepare your students for their future. I look forward to following this thread and hope Greg will get it back to a place where it gets more attention.

Likes Joker93
Daymare said:
If you are beginning to learn thermodynamics you should go for Schroeder
Why is that?

Some of the books in that list are pretty advanced and not proper for a first introduction to the subject.
For a first introduction, my suggestion is "Heat and Thermodynamics" by Dittman and Zemansky. This was my favorite textbook in my undergraduate years. I also chose Blundell's in the list above.

Shayan.J said:
Some of the books in that list are pretty advanced and not proper for a first introduction to the subject.
For a first introduction, my suggestion is "Heat and Thermodynamics" by Dittman and Zemansky. This was my favorite textbook in my undergraduate years. I also chose Blundell's in the list above.
What makes Blundell's book better than the others in your opinion?

Adam Landos said:
It covers a wide range of topics. The explanations are concise and clear.

Likes Joker93
I used Kittel and Kroemer in undergrad and was confused by it. It turns out that many that I know, including the professor, agree that the first edition of Thermal Physics by Kittel (alone!) is superior to the rewriting by Kittel and Kroemer. So I bought the first edition (for around $5!) and like it a lot. It does not cover much beyond the basic but IMO teaches the basic really well and in a concise manner. The second edition adds more content and exercises and expands some old content but fails to remain organized and clear.

Adam Landos said:

[Not directed at me, but] I really like Blundell's writing style: the text is clear and engaging, and the derivations elegant. The book is divided into many short chapters, each of which covers only a few key concepts, so I never felt overwhelmed. The problems are interesting and helpful for understanding the material. It was my first textbook in thermodynamics and statistical physics; it's a bit harder in difficulty than Schroeder.

Colacanth said:
[Not directed at me, but] I really like Blundell's writing style: the text is clear and engaging, and the derivations elegant. The book is divided into many short chapters, each of which covers only a few key concepts, so I never felt overwhelmed. The problems are interesting and helpful for understanding the material. It was my first textbook in thermodynamics and statistical physics; it's a bit harder in difficulty than Schroeder.
I have heard a criticism about it: It uses a lot of "hence" and "therefore" which leaves a lot of crucial steps in derivation unfinished. Wasn't this a problem for you?

I learned thermodynamics from a combination of Schroeder and Sears & Salinger. Schroeder for intuition and Sears & Salinger for meat. That isn't to say that there isn't some overlap. Each of these two books would be perfectly good for learning from by itself, especially with a good professor and a good learning ethic on the part of the student.

Adam Landos said:
I have heard a criticism about it: It uses a lot of "hence" and "therefore" which leaves a lot of crucial steps in derivation unfinished. Wasn't this a problem for you?

It does use a lot of "hence" and "therefore"s, but these are just generic connectors in proofs, and I don't recall any omission of crucial steps. If you have an example I'd be glad to go through it with you.

Colacanth said:
It does use a lot of "hence" and "therefore"s, but these are just generic connectors in proofs, and I don't recall any omission of crucial steps. If you have an example I'd be glad to go through it with you.
The best Thermodynamics book I've seen (for many reasons) is Foundations to Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al. I highly recommend this book. Another book that is very good is Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and van Ness. For statistical thermo, I like McQuarrie or Hill.

Colacanth said:
Going through some derivations quickly, I found one that confuses me a bit. On page 58 the step before the boxed equation in the upper part of the page. While I understand it, It could be much clearerr

Adam Landos said:
Going through some derivations quickly, I found one that confuses me a bit. On page 58 the step before the boxed equation in the upper part of the page. While I understand it, It could be much clearerr

I am looking at my library's e-version of this, and I don't see a boxed equation on page 58. Do you mean page 57, or 59, or ...

George Jones said:
I am looking at my library's e-version of this, and I don't see a boxed equation on page 58. Do you mean page 57, or 59, or ...
In my version it's the derivation in section 6.1.2 (chapter on Pressure)

For classical thermodynamics I recommend Part I of Herbert Callen's text (Thermodynamics and introduction to thermostatics). His axiomatic approach is very appealing to a physicist.

Once one finishes Callen's text, statistical mechanics can be studied from McQuarrie's text which is more oriented to chemists/materials scientists. This book is very detailed and is a very good reference if you plan to do research that applies statistical mechanics in chemistry/materials science.

For a very modern and concise treatment appealing to physicists I would recommend Kardar's text. Kardar's text is used in a first year grad course at MIT which is also attended by many ambitious undergrads. The problem sets in this text are very modern and shows how powerful statical mechanics in treating very diverse problems, also half of them are solved at the end of the text. Taking this class or alternatively watching the lectures online might help a lot in following the text.

You can watch Kardar's lectures here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...hanics-of-particles-fall-2013/video-lectures/

and also have a look at his freely available lecture notes which are almost the same as the textbook:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...chanics-of-particles-fall-2013/lecture-notes/

Likes Truecrimson and Joker93
Do you guys/gals know which book is good for an undergraduate who aims to become a theoretical physicist?

1. What are some recommended books for learning about thermodynamics and statistical physics?

Some popular books in this field include "Thermodynamics" by Enrico Fermi, "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria, "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Walter Greiner and Ludwig Neise, "Introduction to Statistical Physics" by Kerson Huang, and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Peter T. Landsberg.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on applications of thermodynamics and statistical physics?

Yes, some books that focus on real-world applications include "Thermodynamics for Scientists and Engineers" by Carl S. Helrich, "Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters, and Complexity" by James P. Sethna, and "Equilibrium Statistical Physics" by Michael Plischke and Birger Bergersen.

3. What level of math proficiency is required for understanding these books?

Most books on thermodynamics and statistical physics require a solid understanding of calculus and some knowledge of differential equations. Some may also require knowledge of linear algebra and probability theory.

4. Are there any online resources or lectures that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations that can supplement the material in these books. Some popular resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.

5. What are some ways to practice and apply the concepts learned from these books?

Some ways to practice and apply the concepts learned from these books include solving practice problems, conducting experiments, and participating in discussions or online forums with other students or professionals in the field. Additionally, applying these concepts to real-world problems and scenarios can also deepen understanding and retention of the material.