Beilinson's regulator map

In summary, Beilinson's regulator map is a morphism between Voevodsky's motivic complex and Deligne complex.
LorenzoMath
X is a smooth quasi-projective variety over Q.

Beilinson's regulator map is a map from the motivic cohomology H to the Deligne cohomology H_D. Originally the motivic cohomology was defined by Beilinson as an eigenspace of an Adams operation on an algebraic K-group. Bloch (or Levine or someone else) showed the lambda piece of K coincides with Bloch's higher Chow group. Then Voevodsky claims higher Chow group is the same as his motivic cohomology defined by his motivic complex.

My question is is it possible to give explicit formula of Beilinson's regulator map as a morphism between Voevodsky's motivic complex (over a Zariski, etale site) and Deligne complex (over an analytic manifold)? Even for a certain limited case...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're clearly making all those terms up.

you are a little over most of our heads here. you could teach us the definitions, and maybe get up a discussion, or if you just want an answer, you might just ask mark levine, or spencer bloch, or steve gersten. ( i know them and they are nice guys, although i don't know the others).

or maybe some experts will chime in here after a while. but if know all these definitions, your question sounds like a natural research problem. are you asking if this formulation of beilinson's map is known?welcome to the forum, and i hope you stick around. even if we don't get a lot of questions at this level, you will greatly enrich our knowledge base.

Last edited:
my second thought...

Yes, I was wondering how much is already known about explicit description of the regulator map... I looked into the case of "compact" Riemann surfaces as a first step. Then I sensed an explicit description for quasi-projective case would be a complete mess... As for proj varieties of dim greater than 1 would involve spectral sequences of motivic cohomology... hmmm...

I have just got to be interested in this part of the world, i.e. Beilinson's conjectures. So, maybe i should immerse myself into the existing articles first before attempting some possibly pointless thing.

1. What is Beilinson's regulator map?

Beilinson's regulator map is a mathematical tool used in algebraic K-theory to study the relationship between algebraic cycles and algebraic K-groups. It was introduced by Alexander Beilinson in 1984 as a way to generalize the classical regulator map in number theory to algebraic geometry.

2. How does Beilinson's regulator map work?

Beilinson's regulator map takes a cycle in the Chow group of an algebraic variety and maps it to an element in the algebraic K-group of the same variety. This map is defined using the theory of motives, which is a way to bridge the gap between algebraic geometry and algebraic K-theory.

3. What is the significance of Beilinson's regulator map?

Beilinson's regulator map has many important applications in mathematics, including in the study of special values of L-functions, the Birch-Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture, and the Beilinson-Hodge conjecture. It also plays a crucial role in the study of algebraic cycles and their relationship to algebraic K-theory.

4. Are there any limitations to Beilinson's regulator map?

Like any mathematical tool, Beilinson's regulator map has its limitations. It only applies to smooth projective varieties over a field, and it is difficult to compute explicitly. In addition, it has not yet been fully generalized to non-commutative algebraic varieties.

5. Are there any recent developments related to Beilinson's regulator map?

Yes, there have been many recent developments related to Beilinson's regulator map, including its applications in arithmetic geometry, non-commutative geometry, and motivic homotopy theory. There is also ongoing research to extend the map to more general settings and to improve its computational efficiency.