Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bell shape like of Planck's distribution

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    As a high schooler, what I can deduce from Planck's distribution's bell shape is that the majority of the atoms of a body above 0k possesses a certain K.E which is the average K.E which leads to the presence of a peak point in the distribution. While the minority posses higher or lower K.E which leads to the decrease of intensity of radiation for longer or shorter wavelengths than that of the peak point. And as the temperature of the body increases the K.E energy possessed by the majority increases so the peak point moves to a higher frequency, I think the explanation is related to maxwell-boltzman distribution to a great extent. All of what I said is just my deductions, at school we are not given explanations for what we study, and we don't have enough knowledge about the topics to deduce the explanations on our own, I'm keen on understanding every point, so I hope anyone on the forum to correct what I mentioned about the bell shape and give me a good explanation, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2
  4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

What is meant by energy is quantized ?

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4
    Planck's postulate was that the energy of oscillators comes in discrete packets given by:
    E=nhv
    Where n is an integer, h is Plancks constant and v is the frequency of the oscillator. By applying this to the classical distribution for states he arrived at the Planck distribution.

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5

You mean we mean that he assumed the Particle nature of light ?

7. Mar 22, 2014 #6
    He didn't quite go that far. Einstein is given credit for that.

8. Mar 22, 2014 #7

But at least he assumed that the light is quantized to photons.

9. Mar 22, 2014 #8

N is number of oscillators ?

10. Mar 22, 2014 #9
    No, I don't think he went that far. It was a mathematical trick that gave the right answer.

11. Mar 22, 2014 #10
    No, it is just an integer. The number of oscillators is given by the Boltzmann distribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook