Why do some people get these growls?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of stomach growls and why they occur even when someone has been well fed. The participants share personal experiences and mention feeling embarrassed when their stomach growls in front of others.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why do some people get these growls? mine has been well fed today with
roast beef, yorkie pud, tatters and greens, and yet it is screaming for more,
it is most ungrateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Why do some people get these growls? mine has been well fed today with
roast beef, yorkie pud, tatters and greens, and yet it is screaming for more,
it is most ungrateful.
That happens to me, I will go two weeks without wanting to eat, then for two weeks, no matter what I eat. I feel empty. :grumpy:

One time i went to the dentists, mine is female and has female assistant,
both rather smart, and i had an attack of belly growls, most embarrassing,
both of them were nearly wetting themselves.

1. Why do our stomachs growl?

Our stomachs growl due to a process called peristalsis, which is the movement of muscles in our digestive tract. When our stomach is empty, the walls of the stomach rub against each other, causing a rumbling sound.

2. Why do some people's stomachs growl louder than others?

This can vary based on a few factors, such as the amount of air and gas in the digestive tract, the size of the stomach, and the sensitivity of the person's hearing. Some people may also have a naturally louder peristaltic movement in their stomach.

3. Does stomach growling mean I am hungry?

Not necessarily. While stomach growling can be a sign of hunger, it can also be caused by other factors such as digestion, air and gas in the digestive tract, or even stress. It is important to pay attention to other signs of hunger, such as a grumbling stomach, light-headedness, or irritability.

4. Can certain foods make our stomachs growl more?

Yes, certain foods can increase the amount of gas and air in our digestive tract, making our stomachs growl more often or louder. Foods high in fiber, such as beans and vegetables, and carbonated drinks can contribute to this.

5. Is it normal to have constant stomach growling?

No, constant stomach growling can be a sign of an underlying medical condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome or lactose intolerance. If you experience constant stomach growling, it is best to consult with a doctor to determine the cause.