Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ben Stein new movie

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1

sas3

Gold Member

What is going on with Ben Stein?
    He has a new movie coming out called "Expelled" supposedly in support of intelligent design?
    Here is the link to the movie’s page;
    http://expelledthemovie.com

It has a few "open and anonymous" forums, so have fun.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Either he's ignorant or has succumbed to money, or both.

I think the subtitle "No intelligence allowed" is so appropriate!! :rofl: Obviously no intelligence in that movie.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    Who the hell is ben stein (I know who he is), and why does anyone care what he has to say?

He should go back to making shows like worlds smartest model.

I guess studying economics and law gives you some authority to talk about science. Or more likely, it makes you look like a pompous fool.

I just watched the trailer, all I can say is: awwwww, religious scientists arnt getting any respect and are kicked out of the scientific community. Poor babies.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

sas3

Gold Member

The forums on that page have me in tears (Both humor and sadness).
    The humor part is obvious; the sadness comes from the fact that so many people are so brainwashed by a religion that they can no longer think for themselves.

6. Feb 25, 2008 #5

Evo

OMG, that is so misleading.
    Since Intelligent Design doesn't meet any scientific criteria, it should not be allowed to be discussed.

And if you read how what scientists said was taken out of context and misrepresented, it's pathetic.

This is just nauseating.

7. Feb 25, 2008 #6

Hey, its dumb and dumber.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Feb 26, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember reading about Darwin saying lightning struck a puddle of mud. :confused:

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8

Astronuc

To my knowledge, no teacher has been fired, harassed, intimidated, or discriminated against for objectively presenting the scientific strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian theory. The problems arises when alternative non-scientific theories (mythologies) are introduced.

10. Mar 3, 2008 #9
    Yeah, the irony of them picking that for its tagline is delicious.

11. Mar 7, 2008 #10
    Would you say evolutionary biology is a forensic science or an empirical science?
    Now, Im not talking about small scale adaptations one can track in a species, but the long scale, historical-paleontological-theoretical evolutionary biology.

12. Mar 7, 2008 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the thing I can't stand. "Discussing the strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian Theory" is one thing. As far as I see it, Evolution is a very good scientific theory, but I don't think any scientific theory is perfect. Eventually it will be expanded upon and, sorry for the pun, evolve into an even better theory.

So, I would not be against discussing the strengths and weaknesses of ANY theory in a science class. All theories have weaknesses and they should be discussed, not forgotten.

The problem is that discussing weaknesses seems to be translated as "teaching intelligent design," when the two are not the same thing. You do not discuss the weaknesses of a theory by pushing a pseudo theory in it's place.

This quote from the movie's site is misleading in more ways than one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  13. Mar 7, 2008 #12

russ_watters

Define "forensic science".

14. Mar 7, 2008 #13
    Is Ben Stein that guy with the really annoying monotone? He does the clear eyes commercial.

15. Mar 7, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that's the guy. I always had the illusion that he was pretty smart. Just goes to show me...

16. Mar 21, 2008 #15
  17. Mar 21, 2008 #16

russ_watters

Just saw this:
    He is pretty smart. That's what is so troubling about this. I once saw a 60 Minutes piece on him where they talk about how his parents pounded knowledge into him (which, of course, could have also brainwashed him). Here's a bio: He was valedictorian of Hillary Clinton's class at Yale law!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Stein

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  18. Mar 21, 2008 #17
    Smart people do stupid things, too. Nobody is immune to it.

Just that, someone that smart being that stupid is pretty rare.

19. Mar 21, 2008 #18

sas3

Gold Member

20. Mar 21, 2008 #19
    Holy crap that is HILARIOUS! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

21. Mar 21, 2008 #20
    I have not seen the movie, but I had heard about it. I have also read small-scale reports of scientists being discriminated against because of religious beliefs that they make known. I've seen this discrimination with my own eyes.

I firmly believe that only science should be taught in science classes, theology and beliefs have their place, etc. I'm not defending the film; I have not seen it. I'm simply saying that the idea of a documentary about such discrimination is not as absurd as some here seem to think it is.

I'm aware that I've probably just opened a can of worms. Personally, I find science versus religion debates dull and nonsensical; I will not respond to anyone who wishes to engage in such a debate, but you all are welcome to it. I also do not have a wide idea of what kind of discrimination occurs and the scale of the problem, but I know it exists, because I have seen it happen once. Feel free to comment and debate, but I'm not likely to respond, as I'm wary of the way controversial subjects can get hostile, and that is not my intent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?