1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BEng Electrical and Electronic Eng, is Msc Physics good idea

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    Hello, this is my first post there though I have been on this site before to look for answers to questions.

I am a graduate in Electrical and Electronic Engineer, graduated in 2013 and live in London. I currently work for a engineering consultancy working on telecoms systems work (adding/upgrading CCTV, speaker systems, data networks, etc).

I considered doing an MSc in Physics but I'm not sure of how much that would benefit me or would be unbeneficial. I thought about doing it because it has modules I am interested in and I would want to go down the nanotechnology route. If anyone can tell me more about what I can do with it, it would be helpful. If you want to read below, I've written about my current situation:

I don't think I can be here much longer as I have considered other careers to move on to. I tried applying to a masters in Wireless and Optical transmission (didn't get in), applied to other jobs. I successfully got into one interview but coinsidently it was on the same day as an (expensive) external training day.

I did want to go into research work but I've been put off since I've been told it won't let me earn the amount of money I will need when one day I have a family to support.

I'm not fond of working in an office and sitting down all day (which is what I am currently doing). I keep getting told I can "move up" from my current role. But move to up what? Be a manager? I really don't want to do that.

A couple of things that do interest me are: teaching. I like to teach but I'm not sure if I want to take the teacher training route just yet. I also am interesting in writing articles about research(science journalism I guess). I read the E&T magazine and would like to write about some of the things I read about. Talk to people, find out what's new, what's being invented, that sort of thing. But I believe you need a masters for that kind of role.

I'm really just trying to figure out what I want to really do. If anyone can tell me anything helpful, I would be very grateful!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2
    If you are still trying to figure out what you want to do, then an MS in Physics may be a reasonable path, especially if you are considering teaching.

There are better paths if you want a career as an engineer.

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about getting on a structured training and career development course with a large company . That's what I did many years ago . You get an opportunity to sample many different tasks and get sent on academic courses .

If you and your tutor think doing an MSc is appropriate then you would probably get full sponsorship .

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    Thank you Dr. Courtney, could you please elaborate on the "better paths" for a career in engineering part. Thanks

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5
    ABET acccredited engineering programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook