1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about getting an MSc in CS

1. Sep 14, 2017 #1
    Hello all,

I have recently graduated with a BSc in physics and have been accepted into the MSc program for Applied Physics. However, due to the job outlook for the position I actually want to do I am deeply interested in pursuing my second interest, which is, AI.

Question: My main question is, what are the day to day activities of an AI programmer( if you could walk me through a typical day in your life) ? What does the future hold for you?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

As an AI programmer, you might be using tools like Netbeans or Eclipse to develop code for Apache Spark. Spark handles running models against data to train neural nets and related AI modeling stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Spark

or you might be using Google's Tensorflow to do something similar.

You'd also have to evaluate the effectiveness of your model and decide if it needs more training or using a different strategy.

Here's one guys work day described:

https://econsultancy.com/blog/68933-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-data-scientist-in-an-ai-company

and here at Google:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...-of-a-google-research-scientist/#619fbedd64c1

and one more from Google on Deep Learning:

https://www.wired.com/2013/05/neuro-artificial-intelligence/

4. Sep 15, 2017 #3
    Thank you for the reply and links, great insightful articles that cleared up many questions I had.

5. Sep 20, 2017 #4
    I am also considering a MSc in CS after I finish my BSc for the same reasons. How are you planning on aiming your applications and school selections based on the fact that your undergrad study isn't in CS?

6. Sep 20, 2017 #5
    Well I've talked to a few graduate professors, they are not concerned at all about my BSc in physics. They said physics graduates tend to do very well. As far as my application, fortunately my last 60 GPA is solid and I'll be going to the same university I graduated from due to the CS program being competitive, so the application process is different than if I picked a different university.

7. Sep 20, 2017 #6
    OP: In one of your other threads you mentioned that you have accepted a position as a tech in a wafer fab, and your goal is to get promoted to process engineer ASAP. How are you planning to do your MS? Part time? Are you planning to continue a future as a process engineer, or drop it in favor of AI?

8. Sep 20, 2017 #7
    The company I recently was hired to has an educational assistance program with pays for 100 % of advance degrees(as long as you make at least a B). Essentially, as an undergrad I found my universities research interests matched the companies interests as well. I immediately planned all my elective courses and research to be appealing for the company that way I could continue my studies in graduate school as a physicist and increase my income at the same time. But since graduating and getting hit with a reality check I am not so sure continuing physics in grad school is the best idea and am interested in my second interest which is AI. I want to promote to process engineer as my future short-term goal ASAP due to more money to provide for my wife and daughter, and the experience I will gain. I plan on continuing my education part time and focus mainly on my career. I am just indecisive as to whether I should continue down my true love, physics, or deviate to another interest which is AI. If I do decide to deviate I will still pursue physics, however in a more hobby style than degree-seeking. As far as continuing as a process engineer I think that depends how much I enjoy the position, which I suspect I will very much enjoy. Luckily the company I was hired for also has an AI department, albeit not in the same location but I hope they would support a transition if I do go down the AI road.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted