Bessel vs Modified Bessel Eqn solve PDE

In summary, regular Bessel and Modified Bessel functions are used to solve problems with radial and axial dependence, respectively. Bessel functions oscillate while Modified Bessel functions do not. The hankel functions (H = J+/i Y) have a different behavior at zero, and are useful for cylindrical wave problems.
dspampi
I'm having trouble understanding the boundary conditions and when you would need to use Bessel vs Modified Bessel to solve simple cylindrical problems (I.e. Heat conduction or heat flow with only two independent variables). When do you use Bessel vs Modified Bessel to solve Strum-Louville problem for a cylinder and what is the intuition behind using either one?

Physics news on Phys.org
dspampi said:
I'm having trouble understanding the boundary conditions and when you would need to use Bessel vs Modified Bessel to solve simple cylindrical problems (I.e. Heat conduction or heat flow with only two independent variables). When do you use Bessel vs Modified Bessel to solve Strum-Louville problem for a cylinder and what is the intuition behind using either one?

If you separate variables in Laplace's equation in such a way that the axial dependence is exponential, then the equation for the radial dependence is Bessel's Equation:
[tex]\nabla^2(R(r)e^{\pm kz}e^{\pm in\theta}) = 0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad r^2R'' + rR' + (k^2r^2 - n^2)R = 0[/tex]

If you separate variables in Laplace's equation in such a way that the axial dependence is sinusoidal, then the equation for the radial dependence is the modified Bessel's Equation:
[tex]
\nabla^2(R(r)e^{\pm ikz}e^{\pm in\theta}) = 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad r^2R'' + rR' - (k^2r^2 + n^2)R = 0
[/tex]

If you're working in a region where [itex]z[/itex] is unbounded then you will only need [itex]e^{\pm kz}[/itex]. If you're working in a region where [itex]z[/itex] is bounded then you will generally need both [itex]e^{\pm kz}[/itex] and [itex]e^{\pm ikz}[/itex].

The asymptotic (large argument) forms of the Bessel functions provide some insight. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

Here is a summary (see the link for more of the story).

regular Bessel:
J ~ cos(x-a)/sqrt(x)
Y ~ sin(x-a)/sqrt(x)

Modified bessel:
I ~ exp(x)/sqrt(x)
K ~ exp(-x)/sqrt(x)

So regular bessel functions oscillate, and modified do not.

The hankel functions (H = J +/i Y) thus go like exp(+/- i (x-a))/sqrt(x), which is why they are useful for cylindrical wave problems.

The behavior at zero matters for some applications, especially those for which your solution must be bounded at zero. J and I are bounded, while Y and K (and hence the hankel functions H) are not.

In light of what pasmith wrote, when the Z-dependence oscillates, the R does not, and vice versa.

jason

1. What is the difference between Bessel and Modified Bessel equations?

The Bessel equation is a second-order linear differential equation that arises in many areas of physics, including heat conduction, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. The Modified Bessel equation is a variant of the Bessel equation that contains an additional term, making it more suitable for solving certain types of problems in engineering and physics.

2. How do Bessel and Modified Bessel equations solve PDEs?

Bessel and Modified Bessel equations can be used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by transforming them into ordinary differential equations (ODEs). This transformation simplifies the problem and allows for easier solution using known techniques for ODEs.

3. Which equation should I use for my PDE problem: Bessel or Modified Bessel?

The choice between Bessel and Modified Bessel equations depends on the specific problem at hand. Generally, the Modified Bessel equation is more suitable for problems involving cylindrical or spherical symmetry, while the regular Bessel equation is better for problems with planar symmetry.

4. Can Bessel and Modified Bessel equations be solved numerically?

Yes, both Bessel and Modified Bessel equations can be solved numerically using software such as MATLAB or Mathematica. However, it is important to note that numerical solutions may not always be as accurate as analytical solutions, and the choice of equation may affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Bessel and Modified Bessel equations?

Yes, Bessel and Modified Bessel equations have numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of heat transfer, acoustics, electromagnetism, and diffusion processes. They are also used in fields like signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics.