Bessel's Equation and substitutions

• Thread starter lelandt50
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved finding a general solution for a given equation using a substitution method. The substitution used was z=x^2 and the steps for solving the equation were discussed. The main difficulty was in computing the second derivative of y with respect to x, but it was solved using the chain rule and the given equation for \frac{d\phi}{dx}.
lelandt50

Homework Statement

Find a general solution in terms Jv of and Yv . Indicate
whether you could also J-v use instead of Yv. Use the
indicated substitution. Show the details of your work.

9x2y''+9xy'+(36x4-16)y=0

Substitution (z=x2)

Homework Equations

All given in part 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Given z=x2, [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=2x
Therefore [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=2x*[itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex]

But I need the second derivative of y with respect to x to make the substitution, this is where I run into trouble. Using the chain rule, I get this:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]=2*[itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex])*2x

I have no clue how to compute [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex])
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any function [itex]\phi[/itex], [itex]\frac{d\phi}{dx}= \frac{d\phi}{dz}\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]. In particular, if [itex]\phi= \frac{dy}{dz}[/itex] then [itex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dz}\right)= \frac{d^2y}{dz^2}\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right)[/itex]

Thank you!

i am also struggling with how I am going to compute

1. What is Bessel's equation?

Bessel's equation is a second-order differential equation that is used to describe oscillatory systems, such as vibrating strings or circular membranes. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

2. What is the significance of Bessel's equation?

Bessel's equation is significant because it has many real-world applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to describe various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanics. It is also used to solve boundary value problems in these fields.

3. What is a substitution in the context of Bessel's equation?

A substitution in the context of Bessel's equation refers to the process of replacing the independent variable in the equation with a new variable, which can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This is a common technique used in differential equations to transform them into a more manageable form.

4. How are substitutions used to solve Bessel's equation?

Substitutions are used to transform Bessel's equation into a simpler form, such as a first-order differential equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques. These substitutions involve replacing the independent variable with a new variable or introducing new parameters into the equation.

5. Are there any specific substitutions that are commonly used for Bessel's equation?

Yes, there are several commonly used substitutions for Bessel's equation, including the Euler substitution, the power substitution, and the trigonometric substitution. These substitutions are chosen based on the specific form of the Bessel's equation and the desired outcome of the solution.