Best introductory general chemistry text?

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
Our class doesn't use a textbook and our professor doesn't give out much notes. Just handouts with problems on it. So I wanted a textbook to accompany my studies but don't know which is the best/rigorious general chemistry textbook.

Answers and Replies

Oxtoby is fairly good.

DPR
I have checked out a bunch of general chemistry textbooks. Four are really excellent.

General Chemistry: Principles and Structure by James E. Brady and Gerard E. Humiston (this book's coverage of physical and chemical equilibrium is excellent)
Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change by Martin Silberberg
Chemistry: The Central Science by Theodore E. Brown et. al
Chemistry by Raymond Chang

And these too books are pretty good, but not great, in my opinion.
General Chemistry by Darrell Ebbing
Chemistry by Julia Burge

Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" is the standard old school book. It's cheap and not unnecessarily big, your back will not suffer from carrying it around unlike most other books.

Covers 3 semesters worth of freshman-level chemistry theory and would be good for a high school student too.

Last edited:
Cod
Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" is the standard old school book. It's cheap and not unnecessarily big, your back will not suffer from carrying it around unlike most other books.

Covers 3 semesters worth of freshman-level chemistry theory and would be good for a high school student too.
Seconded. I purchased Pauling's book for self-study and it worked out great.

What about A molecular approach by Nivaldo ?

462chevelle
Gold Member
We are using molecular approach by Nivaldo Tro for gen chem 1, this is my first chem class and I'm not having any issues understanding.

We are using molecular approach by Nivaldo Tro for gen chem 1, this is my first chem class and I'm not having any issues understanding.
Do you recommend it for AP chem ?

462chevelle
Gold Member
I don't see why not, AP chem is supposed to be a substitute for gen chem 1 for college.

I don't see why not, AP chem is supposed to be a substitute for gen chem 1 for college.
I've seen that it has got very good reviews on Amazon, Do you think it's the best ?

462chevelle
Gold Member
It's the only chem book I have ever used. My school is a high ranked pharmacy school and we have a good chem program, so I would think its a good book.

It's the only chem book I have ever used. My school is a high ranked pharmacy school and we have a good chem program, so I would think its a good book.
Thanks !!

My grandson had AP chemistry last year and they used Chemistry: Principles and Reactions by Masterton et al. I thought it was a pretty good book.

Chet