1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommendations for General Chemistry text

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could point me towards a good General Chemistry textbook. I just finished General Chemistry I last semester, and I'm taking part II next semester. We didn't have a required text for the class (nor did we even really need one), but I want to get a good comprehensive textbook for reference and further reading in the future.

I was looking at Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" text, https://www.amazon.com/dp/160796298...TF8&colid=1C820W0WD74GP&coliid=I2EPIW3116IRU8 . It seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. There are two versions of it, the one linked above, and another one from the Dover Books series, that appears to be the exact same book from a different publisher, and in paperback. Does anyone have any experience with this book? I figure Linus Pauling is one of the greats in chemistry, so his text is probably a good one.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? They would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This question is asked now and then here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=666941) and on other forums.

To some extent it depends on your learning style. Pauling's book is a classic and generally praised, but it doesn't mean you will like it. If you can, go the library or bookstore and browse the book before buying.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Dec 27, 2013 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I used Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change by Martin Silberberg and it's your average colorful, sometimes annoying, textbook.

Borek has some good advice.

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Thanks for the input. I looked through that thread, and I'm currently checking out some of the recommendations in there. I'm going to see if Pauling's book is at my school library, or my local library. You're probably right that I should check it out before purchasing.

It doesn't sound like the Silberberg book would be what I'm looking for. I'm looking for less of a standard textbook type of book, and something that's a little bit more of a reader type of book. I tend not to like books that are all muddled up with millions of diagrams and pictures.

6. Dec 27, 2013 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

7. Dec 27, 2013 #6

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted