Best introductory general chemistry text?

In summary, there are several options for a general chemistry textbook, including General Chemistry: Principles and Structure by Brady and Humiston, Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change by Silberberg, Chemistry: The Central Science by Brown et al, and Chemistry by Chang. Other decent options include General Chemistry by Ebbing, Chemistry by Burge, and University Chemistry by Mahan. Some users also recommend Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" for its comprehensive coverage and affordable price. Another highly rated option is A Molecular Approach by Nivaldo Tro, which is used in some AP chemistry courses. Ultimately, the best textbook may depend on individual preferences and the specific course being taken.
PhizKid
Our class doesn't use a textbook and our professor doesn't give out much notes. Just handouts with problems on it. So I wanted a textbook to accompany my studies but don't know which is the best/rigorious general chemistry textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oxtoby is fairly good.

I have checked out a bunch of general chemistry textbooks. Four are really excellent.

General Chemistry: Principles and Structure by James E. Brady and Gerard E. Humiston (this book's coverage of physical and chemical equilibrium is excellent)
Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change by Martin Silberberg
Chemistry: The Central Science by Theodore E. Brown et. al
Chemistry by Raymond Chang

And these too books are pretty good, but not great, in my opinion.
General Chemistry by Darrell Ebbing
Chemistry by Julia Burge

Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" is the standard old school book. It's cheap and not unnecessarily big, your back will not suffer from carrying it around unlike most other books.

Covers 3 semesters worth of freshman-level chemistry theory and would be good for a high school student too.

Last edited:
Second vote for Chang.

Lavabug said:
Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" is the standard old school book. It's cheap and not unnecessarily big, your back will not suffer from carrying it around unlike most other books.

Covers 3 semesters worth of freshman-level chemistry theory and would be good for a high school student too.
Seconded. I purchased Pauling's book for self-study and it worked out great.

What about A molecular approach by Nivaldo ?

We are using molecular approach by Nivaldo Tro for gen chem 1, this is my first chem class and I'm not having any issues understanding.

462chevelle said:
We are using molecular approach by Nivaldo Tro for gen chem 1, this is my first chem class and I'm not having any issues understanding.
Do you recommend it for AP chem ?

I don't see why not, AP chem is supposed to be a substitute for gen chem 1 for college.

462chevelle said:
I don't see why not, AP chem is supposed to be a substitute for gen chem 1 for college.

I've seen that it has got very good reviews on Amazon, Do you think it's the best ?

It's the only chem book I have ever used. My school is a high ranked pharmacy school and we have a good chem program, so I would think its a good book.

462chevelle said:
It's the only chem book I have ever used. My school is a high ranked pharmacy school and we have a good chem program, so I would think its a good book.
Thanks !

My grandson had AP chemistry last year and they used Chemistry: Principles and Reactions by Masterton et al. I thought it was a pretty good book.

Chet

1. What makes a general chemistry text the "best" for introductory level?

The best introductory general chemistry text is one that effectively presents the fundamental concepts and principles of chemistry in a clear and engaging manner. It should also provide a good balance between theoretical concepts and practical applications, and have a comprehensive and organized structure.

2. What are some important features to look for in a general chemistry text?

Some important features to look for in a general chemistry text include clear and concise explanations, relevant and up-to-date examples, practice problems with solutions, and interactive learning tools such as online quizzes and simulations.

3. How can I determine if a general chemistry text is suitable for my learning style?

You can determine if a general chemistry text is suitable for your learning style by previewing the text and looking for features that align with your preferred learning methods. For example, if you are a visual learner, a text with plenty of diagrams, illustrations, and animations may be more suitable for you.

4. Are there any recommended general chemistry texts for self-study?

Yes, there are several recommended general chemistry texts for self-study, such as "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, and "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Tro. These texts have been widely used and praised for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of introductory chemistry topics.

5. How can I supplement my learning with a general chemistry text?

You can supplement your learning with a general chemistry text by using additional resources such as study guides, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to form a study group or seek help from a tutor to further reinforce your understanding of the material.