Best journal to publish a research in classical mechanics?

In summary, the best journal to publish a work on the foundation of classical mechanics is likely the one the individual is already reading to stay updated with developments in the field. They can also refer to their references, such as articles published in the past and a thesis on Arxiv. It is recommended to pay close attention to the referee's comments if the work is rejected, as they may provide insight on whether it is worth submitting to another journal. Having a limited number of journals as background may increase the chance of the idea not being novel.
andresB
I think I have an interesting thing to say on the foundation of classical mechanics and I wonder what would be the best journals to submit a work on that topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best journal to publish in is probably the journal you are already reading to keep up with the developments in the field.

Likes berkeman and mfb
You can also check your references: where did they get published?

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
That makes a lot of sense.

Besides the original articles from the 30's, and a couple of books my main references are from physical review and a thesis on Arxiv. Physical review was already the journal I had in mind, but I would like to have other options in case I get rejected there.

You don't need to know what to do if PRE rejects you until they actually do - and that takes months.

Also, if you are rejected, pay close attention to the comments of the referee. They might just tell you whether it is even worth submitting it to a different journal.

andresB said:
Besides the original articles from the 30's, and a couple of books my main references are from physical review and a thesis on Arxiv.
There is always a high chance that your idea is not novel. Having only a few journals as your background makes that chance much larger.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a journal to publish my research in classical mechanics?

When considering the best journal to publish your research in classical mechanics, you should consider factors such as the journal's impact factor, reputation within the field, audience reach, and the relevance of your research to the journal's scope.

2. Should I aim for a high impact factor journal or a specialized journal in classical mechanics?

It ultimately depends on your research goals and the focus of your study. If you want to reach a broader audience, a high impact factor journal may be more suitable. However, if your research is highly specialized, a journal specific to classical mechanics may be a better fit.

3. How long does it typically take for a research paper to be published in a classical mechanics journal?

The timeline for publication can vary depending on the journal's review process and the complexity of your research. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year for a paper to be published.

4. Can I submit my research to multiple journals simultaneously?

No, it is not ethical to submit the same research to multiple journals simultaneously. This can result in duplicate publications and can harm your credibility as a researcher.

5. Should I consider open access journals for publishing my research in classical mechanics?

Open access journals can offer a wider audience reach and may have lower publication fees compared to traditional journals. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and reputation of the open access journal before submitting your research.