Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best journal to publish a research in classical mechanics?

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1
    I think I have an interesting thing to say on the foundation of classical mechanics and I wonder what would be the best journals to submit a work on that topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The best journal to publish in is probably the journal you are already reading to keep up with the developments in the field.

4. Jan 23, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can also check your references: where did they get published?

5. Jan 23, 2016 #4
    That makes a lot of sense.

Besides the original articles from the 30's, and a couple of books my main references are from physical review and a thesis on Arxiv. Physical review was already the journal I had in mind, but I would like to have other options in case I get rejected there.

6. Jan 23, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You don't need to know what to do if PRE rejects you until they actually do - and that takes months.

7. Jan 24, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, if you are rejected, pay close attention to the comments of the referee. They might just tell you whether it is even worth submitting it to a different journal.

8. Jan 24, 2016 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

There is always a high chance that your idea is not novel. Having only a few journals as your background makes that chance much larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook