Laser Safety Glasses for Class II

In summary, Laser Safety Glasses should be required for any lasers that emit a visible beam, regardless of power.
Gamma
Hello,

Community college teacher here. I was instructed to employ a laser safety program in my intro physics lab. We mainly use Class II lasers that came with the PASCO Optics table and Laser Ray boxes. One of my adjunct faculty uses Purple and green laser pointers which is classified as Class 3a. I have signed up to be trained as LSO and we are now looking for Laser Safety Glasses! All these seems silly, but that's what I was told to do. I am writing to find out from fellow teachers, if this is the case with your labs. Do you use safety goggles with Class 2 lasers? How about Class 3a? I am curious as to what other teachers are doing. Thank you!

Gamma

Likes atyy
Science news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
Hello,

Community college teacher here. I was instructed to employ a laser safety program in my intro physics lab. We mainly use Class II lasers that came with the PASCO Optics table and Laser Ray boxes. One of my adjunct faculty uses Purple and green laser pointers which is classified as Class 3a. I have signed up to be trained as LSO and we are now looking for Laser Safety Glasses! All these seems silly, but that's what I was told to do. I am writing to find out from fellow teachers, if this is the case with your labs. Do you use safety goggles with Class 2 lasers? How about Class 3a? I am curious as to what other teachers are doing. Thank you!

Gamma

Safety goggles are not 'silly', and if you are going to be the LSO, you should know what proper safety precautions are required to be in place. I definitely require use of safety goggles with Class III sources. I would probably not require use of goggles for Class II devices unless the beam is at eye level or not visible (IR or UV source, for example). What would you rather deal with: spending a few hundred dollars on safety equipment now, or an injured student later?

Likes atyy and berkeman
The US Government has published required Laser safety standards, here are a few links.
https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_6.html
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/laserhazards/standards.html

The Laser Institute of America is another source of info. https//www.lia.org

The Laser safety manual used at the Uinversity of California at Santa Barbara is available here:
http://www.ehs.ucsb.edu/files/docs/rs/lasersaftyman.pdf

The above were found using:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=laser+safety+standards

My personal opinion is unless/until an individual is thoroughly trained in and understands the differences between Lasers, and is convinced that Lasers can cause actual damage without warning, and is not going to rationalize with "It will be OK this once," Safety Glasses should be required. Yes, that is a tall order, so are firearms and driving a car.

Likes berkeman
I have no laser experience but personally anything that can cause injury aside from falling backwards in a chair, you should require it even if it is not necessary. I've learned the hard way with other tools that its best to go overkill even if the tool is rarely used with the additional safety since it is not very necessary. Plus if it is college I wouldn't think your students would be very careful, although I have not gone to college yet.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of Laser Safety Glasses for Class II?

Laser Safety Glasses for Class II are specifically designed to protect the eyes from exposure to Class II lasers. These glasses have a specific optical density that reduces the intensity of the laser beam to a safe level, preventing eye damage.

2. How do Laser Safety Glasses for Class II work?

Laser Safety Glasses for Class II work by absorbing or reflecting the harmful laser light before it reaches the eye. They contain special filters that block the specific wavelengths of light emitted by Class II lasers, while still allowing other visible light to pass through.

3. Are Laser Safety Glasses for Class II necessary?

Yes, Laser Safety Glasses for Class II are necessary for anyone who works with or is exposed to Class II lasers. These glasses provide vital protection for the eyes and are required by safety regulations to be worn when working with these lasers.

4. How do I choose the right Laser Safety Glasses for Class II?

When choosing Laser Safety Glasses for Class II, it is important to consider the type of laser you will be working with, the specific wavelengths of light it emits, and the optical density required for the level of protection needed. It is best to consult with a safety expert or refer to the laser's safety manual for guidance.

5. Can I use regular sunglasses instead of Laser Safety Glasses for Class II?

No, regular sunglasses do not provide the same level of protection as Laser Safety Glasses for Class II. They are not designed to block the specific wavelengths of light emitted by Class II lasers and may not have the necessary optical density. It is important to always use the appropriate safety equipment when working with lasers.