Best Linux OS to install/run MCNP with MPI or MPICH

In summary: BB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8252&p=84694#p84694In summary, Marvin is trying to find a way to simulate a neutron induced fission betavoltaic battery design using MCNP, but he is having difficulty finding the proper resources. He has found helpful information on nanohubrocks, which discuss how to compile MCNP on CentOS.
mattmac.nuke
I've been having difficulty in successfully compiling the MCNP executable with the MPI/MPICH libraries on Scientific Linux 6.x (whatever the latest version is). I'm currently using MCNP5, and the latest distribution DVD. The compiler is GCC, and the MPI is MPICH 1.4.x (the version immediately prior to MPICH 2).

I've followed the LANL instructions precisely, and yet it won't generate the MCNP5.MPI executable that I need.

If anyone could offer a suggestion for a combination of Linux OSand MPI that works relatively easily to generate the parallel MCNP5 that I want, I would greatly appreciate it. And perhaps some general code for successfully compiling MCNP with the MPI libraries on that particular OS. I can add some of the syntactical details of what I tried to do later, as they are all on another computer system.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How do i get a copy of the MCNP code? Is it free-of-charge?

using MCNP to simulate neutron induced fission betavoltaic battery design

mattmac, would you be interested in using MCNP to simulate my invention design?
You get to benefit by publishing in a totally new field. I benefit by getting cited by you.

Are you a tenure/tenure-track/post-doc/postgrad/undergad? Which university are you in?

So far, I forsee that the Boltzmann equation needs to be solved 3 times to simulate my neutron induced fission betavoltaic battery design:
1) solve Boltzmann to obtain neutron flux
2) solve Boltzmann by using neutron flux to predict electron flux
3) poisson-boltzmann solver to predict Current & voltage in pn-junction, using electron flux in step 2

Do take a look at my published patent application to see my design:
>>>>>>>>>>>www.ipo.gov.uk/p-find-publication-getPDF.pdf?PatentNo=GB2484028&DocType=A&JournalNumber=6410<<<<<<<<<

Likes Galih Dwi
Hello Marvin, it appears that the patent link is broken.

Also, MCNP is generally free depending on your status (student, post doc, professor). You will have to fill out the proper documentation from Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Never mind, I found your entries on nanohub

What is the best Linux operating system for running MCNP with MPI or MPICH?

The best Linux operating system for running MCNP with MPI or MPICH is highly dependent on personal preference and available resources. However, popular choices include Ubuntu, CentOS, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Do I need to install any additional software for running MCNP with MPI or MPICH?

Yes, in order to run MCNP with MPI or MPICH, you will need to install a compatible MPI implementation such as OpenMPI or MPICH. You may also need to install additional libraries and dependencies for MCNP to function properly.

Can I run MCNP with MPI or MPICH on a virtual machine?

Yes, it is possible to run MCNP with MPI or MPICH on a virtual machine. However, the performance may be impacted depending on the resources allocated to the virtual machine.

What are the minimum system requirements for running MCNP with MPI or MPICH?

The minimum system requirements for running MCNP with MPI or MPICH will vary depending on the size and complexity of the simulations you wish to run. However, it is recommended to have at least 4GB of RAM and a multi-core processor for optimal performance.

Are there any tutorials or resources available for setting up MCNP with MPI or MPICH on Linux?

Yes, there are many tutorials and resources available online for setting up MCNP with MPI or MPICH on Linux. You can refer to the MCNP user manual, official documentation for your chosen MPI implementation, and online forums for assistance.