Best material for a shock resistant phone case

In summary: I think the idea of a thick soft material around an inner hard shell is a good one. I haven't thought about protecting the phone against heat or water yet, but I am interested in doing so.
Zenvix
Hey!

What do you guys think is the best modern looking material for a shock resistant phone case?

I've been snooping around and stumbled upon a material called Carbon Nanotube, from the looks of things it looks quite ideal.

What do you guys also think about Carbon Nanotubes?

My idea is to have a durable but soft material that can withstand a shock/fall and on the inside, I would leave a little room where I would have some sort of soft polymer

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Zenvix said:
Hey!

What do you guys think is the best modern looking material for a shock resistant phone case?

I've been snooping around and stumbled upon a material called Carbon Nanotube, from the looks of things it looks quite ideal.

What do you guys also think about Carbon Nanotubes?
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Can you say more about why you are considering that type of material? I'm no expert, but from reading Wikipedia, it seems to be too dtiff to be very shock absorbent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Can you say more about why you are considering that type of material? I'm no expert, but from reading Wikipedia, it seems to be too dtiff to be very shock absorbent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

Thank you! :)

The reason I was considering the material is because I thought it is was a strong material that was also soft. (I'm still researching into Carbon Nanotubes at the moment so I don't know a whole lot about it)

Do you have any materials in mind that would be a good shock absorber?

Zenvix said:
Do you have any materials in mind that would be a good shock absorber?
It seems like the current rubber and polymer based phone cases work pretty well. Is this for a schoolwork project? What other materials have you looked into?

berkeman said:
It seems like the current rubber and polymer based phone cases work pretty well. Is this for a schoolwork project? What other materials have you looked into?

I see what you mean but as stupid as it sounds I personally want to try and find an innovative material that would work really well for a Phone case also it's not for a school project. Recently, I've also looked into Ballistic Nylon.

Ballistic Nylon and Carbon Nanotubes are currently the only two materials I have looked into because I don't have a lot of time on my hands.

During an impact the "stopping distance" significantly determined the rate of deceleration and impact forces. So a thick soft material should be better than a thin hard material. However it won't protect the phone as well against bending forces. Your first task is to figure out what you want to protect the phone from.

Likes jrmichler
Couldnt you have a thick soft material around an inner hard shell, so that the inner shell protects against bending forces but the outer shell protects against impacts, also have you thought about protecting against other things such as heat or water, do you only wish to worry about impact or also other forces?

Likes CWatters

What qualities make a material suitable for a shock resistant phone case?

A material that is suitable for a shock resistant phone case should have high impact resistance, good shock absorption capabilities, and high durability. It should also be lightweight and have a good grip to prevent the phone from slipping.

What are some common materials used for shock resistant phone cases?

Some common materials used for shock resistant phone cases include TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane), polycarbonate, silicone, and rubber. These materials are known for their shock absorption and impact resistance properties.

Is there a specific type of design or construction that makes a phone case more shock resistant?

Yes, a phone case with a multi-layer design is generally considered more shock resistant. This type of design involves using multiple layers of different materials, such as TPU and polycarbonate, to provide better shock absorption and protection for the phone.

Can a shock resistant phone case protect my phone from all types of drops and impacts?

No, while a shock resistant phone case can greatly reduce the risk of damage from drops and impacts, it cannot guarantee complete protection. The level of protection also depends on the quality of the case and the force of the impact.

Are there any drawbacks to using a shock resistant phone case?

One potential drawback of using a shock resistant phone case is that it may add bulk and weight to your phone. Additionally, some materials may cause interference with signal reception or affect the touch sensitivity of the screen.