Best place to sell surplus chemicals?

• Thread starter aroc91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, the conversation is about someone who has acquired a variety of chemicals and is looking for alternatives to selling them on eBay or Craigslist. They mention the possibility of selling to a local school district or university chemistry department. Another person expresses interest in purchasing some of the chemicals for a specific purpose. The original person decides to wait for clarification on forum rules before discussing potential sales.
aroc91
Hi all. I recently came into the possession of a fair amount of various chemicals in various amounts. It's not anything outrageous (mostly a lot of ionic silver and lutetium compounds), so eBay would accept it, but I was just wondering if there was a better alternative.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks. I have a few unknowns too, so I think I'm going to give the local university chem department a holler and see if they can offer some assistance. Their budget's probably more in line with what I've got too. Something tells me my high school doesn't want 10 kilos of erbium oxide... haha.

Hello. I would be interested in the erbium oxide, not all 10 kg however. If you put anything up for sale can you provide a link here or private message me? I was wanting this to make triboluminescent compounds.

I'm going to err on the side of caution for the time being, given PF's rules on solicitation and advertising, until I hear something from Greg or one of the mods, but I'll keep you in mind.

Understood. I did see that in the forum rules and was unsure about posting on the thread. I tried to figure out how to PM you, I guess starting a conversation is like a private message? Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Thanks, Greg.

FAQ: Best place to sell surplus chemicals?

What are some safety precautions to consider when selling surplus chemicals?

Safety should be the top priority when selling surplus chemicals. Some precautions to consider include properly labeling all containers, providing Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for each chemical, and following all local, state, and federal regulations for handling and transportation of chemicals.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when selling surplus chemicals?

One common mistake is not properly identifying and classifying the chemicals being sold. It is important to accurately label and list the chemical name, quantity, and any hazards associated with the chemical. Another mistake to avoid is not properly disposing of expired or hazardous chemicals.

What is the best way to determine the value of surplus chemicals?

The value of surplus chemicals is determined by several factors including the quantity, condition, and demand for the specific chemical. It is recommended to research the market value of similar chemicals and consult with a professional or reputable company to determine the most accurate value.

Are there any legal requirements for selling surplus chemicals?

Yes, there are legal requirements that must be followed when selling surplus chemicals. These may include obtaining proper permits and licenses, following transportation and disposal regulations, and adhering to laws regarding the sale of hazardous materials.

What are some reputable platforms for selling surplus chemicals?

There are several reputable platforms for selling surplus chemicals, including online marketplaces, chemical exchange websites, and specialized chemical sales companies. It is important to thoroughly research and vet the platform before listing any chemicals for sale to ensure safety and legality.