Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Punk Bands

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    What are some of the best punk bands ever. I think some are; The Ramones, The Misfits, The Dropkick Murphys, and Bad Religion.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ramones, definitely.

Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Germs, Minutemen, Mudhoney (proto-grunge, perhaps) would be on the American list for me.
  4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    All of those are great bands, I guess I didn't really think the list out too well. I really like the Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables album by the Dead Kennedys.
  5. Jan 11, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No mention of the Sex Pistols?
  6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    Cosigned! Late Black Flag is criminally underrated.

I'm also a big fan of oi, i think a lot of the up-and-coming kids miss out on a lot of great bands in that subgenere.
  7. Jan 11, 2009 #6
    Black Flag for sure.

I have to say Dropkick is equally as much Irish as it is punk.
  8. Jan 11, 2009 #7
    Oh and of course the OP's namesake. Rise Against are awesome.
  9. Jan 11, 2009 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was rethinking the UK side of "best punk." The weird thing about the UK punks, is the best punk albums are nearly always the first, and maybe the second from each band. After which the major-label effect took over. FOr example:
    Clash, Sex Pistols, Damned, Stranglers, Gang of Four, Still Little Fingers, Sham 69, Jam, and several others had fantastic "punk" 1st releases. Some had bona fide 2nd or even 3rd albums (Machine Gun Etiquette by the Damned, best third album ever). But all these bands drifted through various regions of "post-punk." Some albums within those transitions went from OK and tolerable, to outright garbage. With the exception of the Pistols, who broke up when they should have, all of the above bands ultimately ended up as garbage. And Johnny Rotton's band PiL, ended up there as well, so really, that's all of them.

The Damned without Capt. Sensible? Goth Garbage. Gang of Four as a four piece band? Disco garbage. Stranglers after the Men in Black? Sentimental garbage, SLF, and Sham just ran out of inspiration, and Joe Strummer of the Clash thought he was way more talented than he really was. The Jam was the biggest disappointment of the bunch. Evidently only odd-numbered LP releases were allowed to be any good, and when album #7 appeared to be a stinker ("Bitterest Pill" was the last single, and I strongly recommend induced vomiting after taking this one), they broke up.

So, short answer, that list at the top, but only considering first albums.

Edit: add the Fall to the list with the caveat that Mark E. Smith would never consider himself as punk. He'd put out his cigarette in your eye if you accused him of being one. This would ironically reinforce such a categorization. "Wonderful and Frightening world of the Fall" is one of the best LPs of the 80s. "Hit 'em on the head/ with a 2-by-4"
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Jan 11, 2009 #9

Gold Member

Definitely the Misfits (Danzig era), the Clash, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, Operation Ivy / Rancid, Bad Brains...
  11. Jan 11, 2009 #10
    Breaking Benjamin
  12. Jan 11, 2009 #11
    Discharge-THE most influential hardcore punk band of all time, if you don't own a discharge album you don't know the roots of punk. Bands like Metallica have covered their songs.

Charged GBH- everyone knows these guys

The Business- created the song that the entire country of England sang during the World Cup 2001 qualifiers. Been around forever.

The Adicts-- Have withstood the test of time. One of the only punk bands that STILL TOURS and STILL has all its original members. CLASSIC PUNK.
  13. Jan 11, 2009 #12
    Since when was post-grunge considered punk? When I think of punk I think of high-pitched notes and a singer that sounds like every other punk rock singer in existence.

Anyway, I don't mind some punk songs [Shipping Up To Boston, God Save the Queen, Bodies, Fat Lip]. Punk rock as a genre however just doesn't do it for me.
  14. Jan 11, 2009 #13
    i thought the qualifier for punk was just subversive politics. which mostly means, bad music for people who are more verbal than aural.
  15. Jan 12, 2009 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I agree with you there: Play fast and hard - run out of steam fast and hard. I also think the (IMHO) suckage of PIL was about equal to that of The Flowers of Romance. I tried really hard to enjoy PIL out of respect for John Lydon, but could never get there. Out of all of those guys, my fondness is for Steve Jones. He's a solid musician and an intelligent guy. (He interviewed some JPL scientists on his radio show last year and I remember being impressed with the questions he asked them.)

A staple in my day, that I don't see posted here, were the Circle Jerks. Don't know whatever became of those guys. I also have some obscure favorites: Agent Orange and Spizzenergi. I also REALLY really loved The Plasmatics (for their insanity more than their music), and The Runaways who I guess qualify as more of a punk-offshoot band.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Jan 12, 2009 #15
    I usually don't like most bands of any genre of music so my list of favourite Punk bands is fairly slim. Mostly I pick my favourites for not being very typical of their genre.

I like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys, though primarily for the Irish influences.
    The Real McKenzies, primarily for the bagpipes.
    Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies, because they make the most awesome punk covers.
    Bad Religion is far and away my most favourite Punk band for the intelligence of the lyrics.
    Toy Dolls are just plain fun... erm the band that is. ;-) And their rendition of Toccata in [D minor]D-Moll is great.
    Darkest of the Hillside Thickets is called "Horror Punk" and their earlier work is more metal sounding but they are a great geek Punk/Metal band.
    And of course The Ramones and Sex Pistols are some good classics.
  17. Jan 12, 2009 #16
    Don't think anyone has mentioned them yet, but I really enjoy listening to an awesome Canadian band named Propagandhi.
  18. Jan 12, 2009 #17
    Well, they are the closest band to punk that I am willing to listen to as I hate punk rock with a passion (however, I'll admit that Shipping Up To Boston is an awesome song).

This is a pretty good song by Breaking Benjamin:

19. Jan 12, 2009 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Circle Jerks, of course! Hetson of CJ plus Baker of Minor Threat = Bad Religion

And Plasmatics: Wendy O. Wilson killed herself about 10 years ago. She had been running an animal sanctuary about 45 minutes drive from where I live, and I never knew about it until I heard her obituary on NPR. One of the most fantastic songs of that era that I know of is her cover of "Stand by your man" with Lemmy of Motorhead. Not a single word of the lyrics was changed, but the whole song changed its meaning.

I never considered Joan Jett as Punk. Never liked anything she did, but that's just me.
  20. Jan 12, 2009 #19
    Is the Philadelphia Orchestra considered a punk band now that Charles "Ormandy was better" Dutoit is chief conductor?
  21. Jan 13, 2009 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a bit of a pain when they have to bleep the conductor's "infamous language."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?