We all know Techno,Trance and House. Then there's he dark genres of

• Thread starter Protonic
  • Start date
In summary, there are various subcultures within the electronic music scene, such as Techno, Trance, House, EBM, Industrial, and Elektro. These subcultures are not just about the music, but also encompass other aspects such as art, mythology, games, professions, fashion, food, language, state of mind, and even the internet. People who identify with these subcultures often have a rebellious and free-spirited mentality, and are not afraid to mix and blend different subcultures. As they get older, many people start to realize they enjoy different subcultures and no longer hold strict preferences.
Protonic
We all know Techno,Trance and House. Then there's he dark genres of EBM,Industrial, and Elektro. But is this music or part of a culture. An article I read said goths are smarter than the average joe and are more likely to choose electronics for their job,business, or poetry. Ravers a lot may not think are smart but they all use The Internet. They and I do many of the same things. Here I'm going to list the things that makeup our culture.

1.Electronics: Computers,PDAs,Ipods,clelphones
2.Art: Electronic Music, Digitized graphics,lighting(clubs,raves,concerts)
3.Mythology: UFOlogy,aliens,Sci-Fi Religions(Scientology,Raelians,Unarians,Jedi
4.Games: Videogames,interactive multimedia
5.Proffesions: Technological proffessions,engineering,science,mathematics

I don't know about #6 Fashion. This is cause we wear what we want. Being hat a lot of Cyberpunks are goths,punks, and ravers I guess candykid wear, althletic apparell,,plaid, spikes,mohawks,dark clothings,rechcoats,wifebeaters, and combat boots.
Then there's the other aspect of the culture..#7 food. While there isn't any official I guess microwave food cause you cook it via electronics. Then there's fast food, not cooked electronicly but a cheap instant versionof all the world's foods. That's kinda like Electronics Music a digital version of all the world's existing music.
Then there's lingo. Ravers have their own language. Industrial goth doesn't that I know of but it takes from Metal-Rock which does.rave cultre is based around Hip Hop which has not only wear and art but language too. know a lot of raver-goths listen to a lot of other music and I sad they're based on other cultures. So that's 8.
The let's go to #9 state of mind. While many cyberpunks take drugs to alter thei state of mind most of them have the same philosophy. Be free, is that, they're liberals who rebel and don't care what they wear. Many are against corporations,rulers and organized religions. Just be yourself and let it flow is sort of the philosophy.
Then number 10. While many cyberpunks live in liberal cities like San Fransisco,Austin,Orlando,Seattle, ad New York I want to talk about an unseen territory. They conservatives and powers tha be may run this turf but cyberpunks have their own terrain...The Internet. Myspace,Facebook,forums, chatrooms,and websites. Yes we have our own cyberplanet. Don't know if this is a good 11 but we even have our ownsexform...Cybersex.Don't know if anybody still does that though.
I say this since other enres like Hip Hop and Punk are recognize as cultures. 1-5 are certain there others are possible.

Physics news on Phys.org

Certainly worthy of a wikipedia article.

Protonic said:
We all know Techno,Trance and House. Then there's he dark genres of EBM,Industrial, and Elektro. But is this music or part of a culture. An article I read said goths are smarter than the average joe and are more likely to choose electronics for their job,business, or poetry. Ravers a lot may not think are smart but they all use The Internet. They and I do many of the same things. Here I'm going to list the things that makeup our culture.

1.Electronics: Computers,PDAs,Ipods,clelphones
2.Art: Electronic Music, Digitized graphics,lighting(clubs,raves,concerts)
3.Mythology: UFOlogy,aliens,Sci-Fi Religions(Scientology,Raelians,Unarians,Jedi
4.Games: Videogames,interactive multimedia
5.Proffesions: Technological proffessions,engineering,science,mathematics

I don't know about #6 Fashion. This is cause we wear what we want. Being hat a lot of Cyberpunks are goths,punks, and ravers I guess candykid wear, althletic apparell,,plaid, spikes,mohawks,dark clothings,rechcoats,wifebeaters, and combat boots.
Then there's the other aspect of the culture..#7 food. While there isn't any official I guess microwave food cause you cook it via electronics. Then there's fast food, not cooked electronicly but a cheap instant versionof all the world's foods. That's kinda like Electronics Music a digital version of all the world's existing music.
Then there's lingo. Ravers have their own language. Industrial goth doesn't that I know of but it takes from Metal-Rock which does.rave cultre is based around Hip Hop which has not only wear and art but language too. know a lot of raver-goths listen to a lot of other music and I sad they're based on other cultures. So that's 8.
The let's go to #9 state of mind. While many cyberpunks take drugs to alter thei state of mind most of them have the same philosophy. Be free, is that, they're liberals who rebel and don't care what they wear. Many are against corporations,rulers and organized religions. Just be yourself and let it flow is sort of the philosophy.
Then number 10. While many cyberpunks live in liberal cities like San Fransisco,Austin,Orlando,Seattle, ad New York I want to talk about an unseen territory. They conservatives and powers tha be may run this turf but cyberpunks have their own terrain...The Internet. Myspace,Facebook,forums, chatrooms,and websites. Yes we have our own cyberplanet. Don't know if this is a good 11 but we even have our ownsexform...Cybersex.Don't know if anybody still does that though.
I say this since other enres like Hip Hop and Punk are recognize as cultures. 1-5 are certain there others are possible.
HUH? Is this about fashion? These people merely pay for a space to talk, they don't understand it, they have a little niche of their sites, and they don't control even that. Most people ae not even aware of their existence, to be honest.

I think that the music based subcultures are really starting to blend together. A while back everyone seemed to be trying to find their niche and be "different". Eventually though any individual subculture became a rebel cliche and people started fusing subcultures and making in-between culture. You get things like "nerdcore" and "psychobilly" and subcultural "revivals" like "swing" and "ska". Even in mainstream we had the "alternative" musicians mixing rock with rap.

As they got older many people just started admitting that they enjoyed all sorts of subcultures. The host of a music subculture site I go to occasionally one day admitted that she found she really enjoyed hip hop. The site itself was a catalyst for many of us to learn more about other types of music and their subcultures and I don't think any of us really hold a strict preference any longer.

Outside the internet there is a bar I go to that is advertised as a greaser/punker dive bar. Even when they first started up they had a wide selection of music that included Dead Kennedy's, AC/DC, Hank Williams, The Pogues, and Bob Marley though the majority of music in the box has always been punk. Nowadays you go in and you will here everything from punk to blues to hip hop. The current trend there seems to be "Outlaw" subculture with a lot of bluegrass and jug band type music. One of the bartenders (an old school skate punk) wants to start a punk jug band and a bunch of the regulars with their tats and gauges are also sporting checker shirts, overalls, full beards, or even those mustaches that are curled up at the ends. Its interesting.

At any rate, what I think I am saying is that not many people seem to take the whole subculture thing very seriously anymore except as a matter of personal fashion and aesthetics (that site I mentioned earlier is very nearly dead now). The amount of overlap and mixture of culture as led people to adopt each others ideas or even realize that their philosophies and politics aren't so different anyway.

Yeah, what TSA said. :smile:

"Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!" "Whenever I hear of culture... I release the safety catch of my Browning!" (Act 1, Scene 1)

TheStatutoryApe said:
except as a matter of personal fashion and aesthetics
Even that's not so true anymore because of the sheer amount of blending/fusion/influences in the fashion scene. There's some very rave/punk/steampunk/cyberpunk influenced stuff showing up in a lot of (especially high end, but even fast fashion) brands so I've seen a lot of looks that read very punk showing up on people who aren't. (Rhianna is a great example of this). And then there's the whole hipster movement which everyone loves to hate but has been blending grunge with all sorts of things for years. Hot topic, YRB, and urban outfitters popularizing and commercializing sub-culture fashion probably had a lot to do with the fashion fusion.

I'm with TSA that many of the old genre boundaries are slipping away, though new ones are taking shape. If protonic throws out a word or two of his stream-of-conscious, he's got an apt description of free-software culture,or media-activist culture or any of a dozen other modern internet centric/internet facilitated cultures. I think sociologists somewhere do study these things.

These are old memes circulating weakly through clotted veins of 'fashion'. Most of these ideas predate the popular animations, books, and games that popularized them, and are not some unique phenomenon.

I don't see how this is in any way a unique culture, but rather a disparate group trying to find some central identity through superficiality.

Music is one obvious example TSA brings up in which I would not apply this statement, although the glut of junk makes finding gems more than a little painful.

Humans have always liked to show their individualiiy by behaving exactly the same way as their peer group (and preferably exactly the opposite way to their parents).

Personally, I just notch that up as another argument against the idea that humans were "intelligently designed"...

AlephZero said:
Humans have always liked to show their individualiiy by behaving exactly the same way as their peer group (and preferably exactly the opposite way to their parents).

Personally, I just notch that up as another argument against the idea that humans were "intelligently designed"...

Are you kidding? I look at Pet Rock, and it's like staring into the googly eyes of god. :wink:

1. What are the differences between Techno, Trance, House and the dark genres of electronic music?

Techno, Trance, and House are all sub-genres of electronic dance music (EDM) that originated in the 1980s. Techno is characterized by its use of repetitive beats and synthetic sounds, while Trance is known for its melodic and dreamy soundscapes. House music has a more soulful and funky vibe, often featuring vocals and samples. The dark genres of electronic music, such as Industrial, Darkwave, and EBM, have a heavier and more experimental sound compared to the more mainstream EDM sub-genres.

2. Are there any notable artists or DJs in the dark genres of electronic music?

Yes, there are many notable artists and DJs in the dark genres of electronic music. Some examples include Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, and Front Line Assembly in Industrial music, VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk in Futurepop, and Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb in EBM.

3. Is dark electronic music only popular in certain regions or countries?

No, dark electronic music has a global following and is popular in many countries around the world. However, some regions, such as Europe and North America, have a larger fan base for these genres due to their origins and history in those areas.

4. How have the dark genres of electronic music evolved over time?

The dark genres of electronic music have evolved significantly since their emergence in the 1980s. Industrial music, for example, has expanded to include various sub-genres such as Industrial Metal and Electro-Industrial. Darkwave has also evolved to incorporate elements of other genres such as Gothic Rock and Synthpop. Additionally, advancements in technology and production techniques have allowed for new experimental sounds and styles to emerge in these genres.

5. Can you dance to dark electronic music?

Yes, you can definitely dance to dark electronic music! While the beat and tempo may be slower or heavier compared to mainstream EDM, there are still plenty of opportunities to move and groove to the music. Many clubs and festivals also feature dedicated dance floors for fans of the dark genres of electronic music.

Back