1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Books for Statistical Mechanics self study?

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I consider myself a physics self-studier (although I've taken the introductory physics series and more in college), and I'm looking for an introduction to statistical mechanics. My thermal physics class used Schroeder's "Thermal Physics" text, which touches slightly on stat-mech at the end of the book, but I'm looking for further education on the topic.

Admittedly, I prefer a somewhat "hand-holdy" book with less-than-intense rigor. Do any of you know of a text that fits this description?

EDIT: A book with answers to any problems is preferred, as I am a self-studier.

Thanks in advance!
    Jordan

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4
  6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Back when I was undergraduate Kittel was popular. I preferred Reif, in the 1980's. At the graduate level, I like Pathria, now Beale and Pathria. Another good book on the graduate level is one by Kerson Huang. I did not like Reichl as it seemed like a grab-bag of disconnected topics.
    I think parts of Zemansky, and Sears and Salinger or the old book by Becker, were good while I was studying for qualifying exams but I have not seen them used as a textbook lately

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted