Beta-function for the Gross-Neveu model

In summary, the ##\beta## function for the Gross-Neveu model is discussed in problem 12.2. After computing it, I found that the factor of ##g^2## found by Gross and Neveu seems to be because they are using a different definition from P&S, which would amount to ##\beta/g##. I would say Xianyu's solutions are likely trustworthy.
Manu_
Homework Statement
In the Peskin & Schroeder textbook, the $\beta$-function for the Gross-Neveu model is discussed in problem 12.2. After computing it, I have tried checking my results with some solutions found online. My problem is that they all disagree among each other (something quite recurrent for this book actually).
Relevant Equations
$$\mathcal{L} = \bar{\Psi}_{i}(i\not{\partial} )\Psi_{i}-g\sigma \bar{\Psi}_i\Psi_i-\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2$$

$$\delta_{Z_{\Psi}}=(ig)^2\int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d} Tr[\frac{i\not{k}}{k^2}\frac{i}{(k+p)^2}]=0 $$

$$\delta_{Z_{\sigma}}=-N(ig)^2\int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{i\not{k}}{k^2} \frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p})}{(k+p)^2} =-Ng^2 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{1}{(k+p)^2} =-Ng^2\frac{i}{4\pi\epsilon}+finite$$

$$\delta_{g}=(ig)^3 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d} Tr[\frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p_1})}{(k+p_1)^2} \frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p_2})}{(k+p_2)^2}] = ig^3 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{-2k^2}{(k+p_1)^2 (k+p_2)^2}+...=-2ig^3\frac{i}{4\pi\epsilon} $$
In the Peskin & Schroeder textbook, the ##\beta## function for the Gross-Neveu model is discussed in problem 12.2. After computing it, I have tried checking my results with some solutions found online. My problem is that they all disagree among each other (something quite recurrent for this book actually). I have basically followed the original paper from Gross and Neveu:

- We start from the Lagrangian $$\mathcal{L} = \bar{\Psi}_{i}(i\not{\partial} )\Psi_{i}-g\sigma \bar{\Psi}_i\Psi_i-\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2.$$
- We compute the field strength renormalisation

For ##\Psi: ## $$\delta_{Z_{\Psi}}=(ig)^2\int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d} Tr[\frac{i\not{k}}{k^2}\frac{i}{(k+p)^2}]=0 $$

For ##\sigma:## $$\delta_{Z_{\sigma}}=-N(ig)^2\int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{i\not{k}}{k^2} \frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p})}{(k+p)^2} =-Ng^2 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{1}{(k+p)^2} =-Ng^2\frac{i}{4\pi\epsilon}+finite$$

- We compute the coupling renormalisation (though in the Gross-Neveu original paper, the authors argue the vertex need not be renormalised. That is a point I don't get)

$$\delta_{g}=(ig)^3 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d} Tr[\frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p_1})}{(k+p_1)^2} \frac{i(\not{k}+\not{p_2})}{(k+p_2)^2}] = ig^3 \int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{-2k^2}{(k+p_1)^2 (k+p_2)^2}+...=-2ig^3\frac{i}{4\pi\epsilon} $$

- We use relation (12.53)

$$\beta (g) = M\frac{\partial}{\partial M}\left(-\delta_g +\frac{1}{2}g\sum_i \delta_{Z_i} \right)=-\frac{2g^3}{4\pi}+g\frac{-Ng^2}{4\pi}=-\frac{g^3}{4\pi}(N+2)$$

It is asymptotically free, but I do fully trust my result. Any comment welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide the references you found for this calculation?

Thanks!

You should find that the beta function vanishes for ##N = 1## (where ##N## is the number of two-component Dirac fermions, as in P&S's notation). This is because of a well-known equivalence between that model and that of a free massless boson. So I'm biased towards the Xianyu solutions being correct, unless somehow Murayama's definition of ##N## is given by twice the definition in P&S (which some authors like to do, since that definition of ##N## is the total number of components*flavors).

Also, after converting the difference in notations, Zinn-Justin's textbook also gives the same beta function as Xianyu's solution (he uses a different regularization scheme, but it is well-known that this doesn't change the one-loop contribution to the beta function).

I will take a look at your computations when I have time, but in the meantime I would say Xianyu's solutions are likely trustworthy.

Thanks King Vitamin, I will take a look in that textbook.
Actually, there is a mistake in my first post, where I used (ig) instead of (-ig) for the coupling, and this changes the final result to (N-2) instead of (N+2). But I still have to find out how to edit my post...

1. What is the Beta-function for the Gross-Neveu model?

The Beta-function for the Gross-Neveu model is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of the coupling constant in the model as a function of energy scale. It is a key tool in studying the renormalization group flow of the model.

2. How is the Beta-function calculated for the Gross-Neveu model?

The Beta-function for the Gross-Neveu model is typically calculated using perturbation theory, which involves expanding the coupling constant in a series and calculating the contributions from each order. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, but it allows for precise calculations of the Beta-function.

3. What is the significance of the Beta-function in the Gross-Neveu model?

The Beta-function is an important tool in understanding the behavior of the Gross-Neveu model at different energy scales. It helps to determine the stability of the model and whether it is a valid description of the physical system being studied.

4. How does the Beta-function change with different parameters in the Gross-Neveu model?

The behavior of the Beta-function can vary depending on the parameters of the Gross-Neveu model, such as the number of fermion fields or the dimension of spacetime. In some cases, the Beta-function may exhibit fixed points, indicating a stable theory, while in others it may diverge, signaling an unstable theory.

5. Can the Beta-function be used to make predictions about the Gross-Neveu model?

While the Beta-function itself does not make direct predictions about the Gross-Neveu model, it is a crucial tool in the theoretical analysis of the model. By studying the behavior of the Beta-function, scientists can gain insight into the behavior of the model at different energy scales and make predictions about its stability and validity.