Beware of Viruses on Valentine's Day

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a warning from the FBI about a malicious Valentine's ecard containing a worm virus. There have been recent reports of people receiving these ecards and unknowingly exposing their computers to the virus. The conversation also mentions the precautionary measures being taken by the participants, such as writing down IP addresses and using Norton to block attacks.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No, this is not a public health warning, but rather regards some malicious Valentine's ecards containing a worm.

FBI Issues Valentine's Day Email Warning

Feb 12, 2008
Internet Alert: St. Valentine's Day E-Card Carries Storm Worm Virus

If you unexpectedly receive a Valentine's Day e-card, be careful. It may not be from a secret admirer, but instead might contain the Storm Worm virus.

http://www.emergencyemail.org/newsemergency/anmviewer.asp?a=283&z=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the warning Moonbear!

Lately I get about 2 worm attacks every night. Norton blocks them but tells me the info, so I've been writing down the IP Address for each, I'm going to get them back...

What are viruses on Valentine's Day?

Viruses on Valentine's Day refer to malicious software that can infect your computer or device through emails, links, or downloads related to Valentine's Day.

How can I protect myself from viruses on Valentine's Day?

To protect yourself from viruses on Valentine's Day, make sure to only open emails and click on links from trusted sources, avoid downloading attachments from unknown senders, and keep your antivirus software updated.

What are the common types of viruses on Valentine's Day?

The most common types of viruses on Valentine's Day are email viruses, which spread through infected emails, and Trojan horses, which disguise themselves as harmless files or programs.

What should I do if I suspect I have a virus from a Valentine's Day email?

If you suspect you have a virus from a Valentine's Day email, immediately stop using the computer or device and run a full system scan with your antivirus software. If the scan detects a virus, follow the instructions to remove it.

Can I still celebrate Valentine's Day online without risking viruses?

Yes, you can still celebrate Valentine's Day online without risking viruses by being cautious of the emails, links, and downloads you interact with. Stick to trusted sources and always make sure your antivirus software is up to date.