Bias and Variance of Estimators for Population Mean

  • Thread starter Thread starter gutnedawg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bias Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gutnedawg
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose you have a random sample {X1,X2,X3} of size n=3. Denote the population mean [tex]\mu[/tex] = E(Xi) and the population variance [tex]\sigma[/tex]^2= VAR(Xi). Consider the following three estimators for [tex]\mu[/tex]

[tex]\mu[/tex] 1= X
[tex]\mu[/tex] 2= X1/5 +X2/2 +X3/5
[tex]\mu[/tex] 3= (X1+X2+X3)/5

What is the bias associated with each estimator?
What is the variance associated with each estimator?

Homework Equations


I'm not sure


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really at a loss now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gutnedawg said:

Homework Statement


Suppose you have a random sample {X1,X2,X3} of size n=3. Denote the population mean [tex]\mu[/tex] = E(Xi) and the population variance [tex]\sigma[/tex]^2= VAR(Xi). Consider the following three estimators for [tex]\mu[/tex]

[tex]\mu[/tex] 1= X
[tex]\mu[/tex] 2= X1/5 +X2/2 +X3/5
[tex]\mu[/tex] 3= (X1+X2+X3)/5

What is the bias associated with each estimator?
What is the variance associated with each estimator?

Homework Equations


I'm not sure


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really at a loss now.

For each estimator use the rules for expectations and variances of linear combinations of independent variables.

[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> E(aX + bY) &= aE(X) + bE(Y) \\<br /> Var(aX + bY) & = a^2 Var(X) + b^2 Var(Y)<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

Try these with your estimators and show what you find.