Bias of an estimator: Can you confirm that I am doing this right?

• Thread starter LoadedAnvils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias
In summary: What does "the notation E_X Y often means " mean?The notation (the E_{\theta}[\text{ something }}) is often used when the assumption is the family of distributions is indexed by a (real or vector valued) parameter \theta . In that context there is no possibility of interpreting as a conditional expectation.
LoadedAnvils
Let [itex]X_{1}, \ldots, X_{n} \; \mathtt{\sim} \; \textrm{Poisson} (\lambda)[/itex] and let [itex]\hat{\lambda} = n^{-1} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} X_{i}[/itex].

The bias of [itex]\hat{\lambda}[/itex] is [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\lambda} (\hat{\lambda}) - \lambda[/itex]. Since [itex]X_{i} \; \mathtt{\sim} \; \textrm{Poisson} (\lambda)[/itex], and all [itex]X_{i}[/itex] are IID, [itex]\sum_{i = 1}^{n} X_{i} \; \mathtt{\sim} \; \textrm{Poisson} (n \lambda)[/itex].

Thus, [itex]\mathbb{E} (\hat{\lambda}) = \sum_{nx = 1}^{\infty} x \exp{(-n \lambda)} \frac{(n \lambda)^{nx}}{(nx)!} = \lambda[/itex], and the indicator is unbiased (bias = 0).

However, I'm using [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\lambda}[/itex] as [itex]\mathbb{E}[/itex], and I don't know if I'm doing it right. I haven't seen any similar examples and this is the first time I'm calculating the bias, so I would really love some insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any distribution where the mean exists (including Poisson), an average of trials is always an unbiased estimate of the mean. All you need is the law of large numbers.

Thanks. However, I still want to know if I calculated this correctly (as I will be doing the same for calculating the standard error and MSE).

LoadedAnvils said:
However, I'm using [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\lambda}[/itex] as [itex]\mathbb{E}[/itex], and I don't know if I'm doing it right.

What does "using [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\lambda}[/itex] as [itex] \mathbb{E} [/itex]" mean? For the expectation operator to have a definite meaning, you must say what variable [itex] \mathbb{E} [/itex] is being applied to.

What does "using [itex]\mathbb{E}_{λ}[/itex] as [itex]\mathbb{E}[/itex]" mean? For the expectation operator to have a definite meaning, you must say what variable [itex]\mathbb{E}[/itex] is being applied to.

The textbook defines [itex]E_{\theta} \left( r(X) \right) = \int r(x) f(x; \theta) dx[/itex].

What I did is just evaluated the expectation of [itex]\hat{\lambda}[/itex].

LoadedAnvils said:
The textbook defines [itex]E_{\theta} \left( r(X) \right) = \int r(x) f(x; \theta) dx[/itex].
One would also need to know how the textbook defines the various things involved in that expression. To me that looks like some sort of conditional expectation where the condition is given by the value of the parameter [itex] \theta [/itex] used in the probability density [itex] f [/itex].

In contrast to that, the notation [itex] E_X Y [/itex] often means "the expected value of the function [itex] Y [/itex] with respect to the random variable [itex] X [/itex]. If the probability density of [itex] X [/itex] is [itex] f(x) [/itex] then this notation means [itex] E_X Y = \int Y(x) f(x) dx [/itex].

To relate the above notation to your work

[itex] X = Y = \hat{\lambda}[/itex]
The possible values of [itex] X [/itex] are denoted by [itex] nx [/itex].
The probability density of [itex] X [/itex] is [itex] f(nx) = e^{-n\lambda} \frac{ (n \lambda)^{nx}}{(nx)!} [/itex]

Taking the usual view that a sum is a type of integral, you should compute
[itex] E_X Y = \int nx\ f(nx) dx = \sum_{nx=0}^\infty nx\ e^{-n\lambda} \frac{ (n \lambda)^{nx}}{(nx)!} [/itex]

If you did not know the probability density function for [itex] \hat{\lambda} [/itex] then could have used the theorem that the expected value of a sum of random variables is the sum of their expected values and gotten the result in a less direct way.

Stephen Tashi said:
One would also need to know how the textbook defines the various things involved in that expression. To me that looks like some sort of conditional expectation where the condition is given by the value of the parameter [itex] \theta [/itex] used in the probability density [itex] f [/itex].

This notation (the [itex] E_{\theta}[\text{ something }][/itex]) is often used when the assumption is the family of distributions is indexed by a (real or vector valued) parameter [itex] \theta [/itex]. In that context there is no possibility of interpreting as a conditional expectation.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of bias of an estimator?

The bias of an estimator is the difference between the expected value of the estimator and the true value of the parameter being estimated. In other words, it is a measure of how much the estimator tends to overestimate or underestimate the true value.

2. What causes bias in an estimator?

Bias in an estimator can be caused by various factors such as the sample size, the sampling method, and the assumptions made about the data. It can also be caused by the presence of outliers or systematic errors in the data.

3. How can I determine if my estimator is unbiased?

To determine if your estimator is unbiased, you can compare the expected value of the estimator to the true value of the parameter being estimated. If the two are equal, then the estimator is unbiased. Additionally, you can also perform statistical tests to check for bias in the estimator.

4. What is the impact of bias on the accuracy of an estimator?

Bias can affect the accuracy of an estimator by causing it to consistently overestimate or underestimate the true value of the parameter. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and inaccurate predictions based on the estimated values.

5. How can I reduce bias in my estimator?

To reduce bias in an estimator, you can try increasing the sample size, using a different sampling method, or making fewer assumptions about the data. It is also important to identify and address any outliers or systematic errors in the data. Additionally, using more advanced statistical techniques or adjusting the estimator formula can also help reduce bias.