1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycle Helmet Physics - Momentum Calculations

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    edit

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Energy is force x distance, so that force acting over the distance of the thickness of the helmet isn't very much. Remember also that KE is velocity^2 so 30->40km/h is almost a doubling of en ergy.

4. Jul 28, 2009 #3
    Right, the wikipedia statement regards energy.

That aside, my calculations of force are sound? That with a helmet, hitting the the ground (or another object) at 20km/h, is roughly equivalent to hitting the ground at 2.8km/h without a helmet?

5. Jul 28, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems reasonable, it's hard to know the time an the force isn't necessarily linear as the helmet distorts - but I wear one!

6. Jul 28, 2009 #5
    I'm glad that the calculations appear to be in order, despite the baffling conclusion that 20km/h(w helmet)=2.8km/h(w.o helmet).

You're right about the force not being necessarily linear, but I think I just need something simple to illustrate the effectiveness of helmets.

While I can reliably source the time figure of 6ms afforded by helmets, I think the arbitrary time value I added of 1ms probably skews the data quite a bit. I just don't know how else the comparative analysis would work. I can't calculate the acceleration if I just use the 6ms figure (since t=0 w/o helmet then). The obvious solution is to increase the time that the skull affords, but I really am not sure what number to decide on.

7. Jul 28, 2009 #6
    Okay, so I did some research and have found that the human skull is roughly 1/4" = 6.35mm thick. Helmet foam on the other hand is 20mm. So I think I can reasonably conclude that the time allowance afforded by the skull is 1/3 of the helmet foam. That is, if it's distance that is the operative variable here that extends time of deceleration; since the human skull is surely stronger, that just means it absorbs more force but doesnt really affect the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook