1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big rotor vs multiple small rotors in a Permanent Magnet Generator

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    Hello guys,
    I am trying to build a permanent magnet generator, I have 48 magnets and 18 coils, and I am hesitating betwen 2 configurations.
    Configuration A: 2 huge steel plates with 24 magnets on each and an 18 coil stator between them or
    Configuration B: 4 smaller plates stacked to sandwich 3 stators, same total number of magnets and coils.
    In theory, for both configurations, over 1 complete revolution the same number of magnets would pass over the same number of coils. Since voltage is proportional to the variation of flux in time, in config A the speed of the magnets being higher, a higher voltage is obtained, in an open circuit at least.
    But when I add a load current will start flowing and that would slow the rotor. In config A the force will be applied far away from the axis making it easier to slow down the rotor while in config B it will have a smaller impact since it is closer to the axis. Having said all that do you think that I would have the same efficiency for both configurations?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the same power, higher voltage means lower current and lower I^2R losses in the windings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook