Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients

In summary, There are a few different approaches that could be taken to solve this differential equation, including using eigenfunction expansions, the method of separation of variables, and transforming to polar coordinates.
skrieger
I'm working on a problem and I've run into a differential equation that very strongly resembles the biharmonic equation but is fundamentally different:

0 = a(∂^4 ψ/∂x^4) + b(∂^4 ψ/∂y^4) + c(∂^4 ψ/∂x^2 ∂y^2).

where a,b,c are scalar coefficients.

Any ideas? I think these were originally solved using eigenfunction expansions so that's my first plan, but if anybody knows anything easier...

I tried it in Mathematica with poor results, but DSolve tends to struggle with the biharmonic equation in Cartesian coordinates anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach that you could take is to use the method of separation of variables. This involves making an ansatz of the form ψ(x,y) = X(x)Y(y) and substituting this into the differential equation. This will lead to two separate equations in x and y, which can be solved separately. The general solution will then be a linear combination of the individual solutions. Another approach that may work is to transform the coordinates to polar coordinates. This can sometimes simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

What is a Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients?

A Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients is a partial differential equation that involves the fourth-order derivative of a function. The equation is typically written in the form of au4 + bu2 + cu = f, where a, b, c, and f are coefficients and u is the unknown function.

What are some applications of the Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients?

The Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients is commonly used in mechanics and physics to model phenomena such as bending of beams, vibrations of plates, and fluid flow. It is also used in engineering and materials science to analyze stress and strain in structures.

How is the Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients solved?

The Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients can be solved using various techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or the method of Green's functions. The solution will depend on the specific boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem.

What are the main properties of the Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients?

The Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients is a linear equation, meaning that the sum of two solutions is also a solution. It is also a homogeneous equation, which means that the right-hand side f is equal to zero. Additionally, the equation has a unique solution given appropriate boundary and initial conditions.

What are some common variations of the Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients?

Some common variations of the Biharmonic Equation with Coefficients include the Poisson equation, which has a bu2 term but no au4 term, and the Helmholtz equation, which has a bu term but no au4 or bu2 terms. These equations are commonly used in different fields to model specific situations.