Bijection in a complex number ring

In summary: This shows that the function is surjective, and therefore bijective. In summary, the complex conjugation function f:C----->C is a bijection because it is both injective and surjective. To prove surjectivity, we can show that for any complex number z2 in the range of the function, there exists a complex number z1 in its domain such that f(z1) = z2. This can be demonstrated by taking an arbitrary complex number z1 and finding its conjugate z2, which we know is in the domain of the function and maps to z1. Therefore, the function is surjective and therefore bijective.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Show that the complex conjugation function f:C----->C (whose rule is f(a+bi)=a-bi) is a bijection

Homework Equations

A function is a bijection if it is both injective and surjective
a function is injective if when f(a)=f(b) then a=b
a function is surjective if for f:B---->C
if c is in C then there exists a b in B such that f(b)=c

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the whole injective part
Let
f(a+bi)=f(c+di)
hence, a-bi=c-di
now suppose that b is unequal to d
so, a-c=(b-d)i
meaning i=(a-c)/(b-d) which is a contradiction, since i is not a real number.
hence, a=c and b=d
meaning, f is injective

My problem is with the surjective part, let me know if this is wrong,
Let f(a+bi)=c+di
then, a-bi=c+di... then i don't know where to go from there
I don't know if this is wrong, any clarification on how to test for surjectivity would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
dancergirlie said:

Homework Statement

Show that the complex conjugation function f:C----->C (whose rule is f(a+bi)=a-bi) is a bijection

Homework Equations

A function is a bijection if it is both injective and surjective
a function is injective if when f(a)=f(b) then a=b
a function is surjective if for f:B---->C
if c is in C then there exists a b in B such that f(b)=c

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the whole injective part
Let
f(a+bi)=f(c+di)
hence, a-bi=c-di
now suppose that b is unequal to d
You can prove this by contradiction, but why? If two complex numbers are equal, what must be true for their real parts and their imaginary parts?
dancergirlie said:
so, a-c=(b-d)i
meaning i=(a-c)/(b-d) which is a contradiction, since i is not a real number.
hence, a=c and b=d
meaning, f is injective

My problem is with the surjective part, let me know if this is wrong,
Let f(a+bi)=c+di
then, a-bi=c+di... then i don't know where to go from there
I don't know if this is wrong, any clarification on how to test for surjectivity would be greatly appreciated...

What you want to do is to show that for any complex number z2 in the range of this function, there is a complex number z1 in its domain so that f(z1) = z2. Start with an arbitrary complex number and find the other complex number that this function maps to it.

Like Mark suggested.

Let z1=a-bi be any complex number, then for this exists its conjugate z2=a+bi such that
f(z2)=z1.

1. What is a bijection in a complex number ring?

A bijection in a complex number ring is a function that maps each complex number in the ring to a unique complex number in the same ring. This means that every element in the ring is both being mapped to and being mapped from, ensuring a one-to-one correspondence.

2. How is a bijection different from other types of functions in a complex number ring?

A bijection is different from other types of functions in a complex number ring because it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that the function not only maps each element to a unique element, but also covers all elements in the ring, ensuring a complete and balanced mapping.

3. What is the importance of bijections in a complex number ring?

Bijections are important in a complex number ring because they allow for a well-defined and consistent mapping between elements. This is particularly useful in mathematical proofs and constructions, as well as in more practical applications such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. How can you determine if a function is a bijection in a complex number ring?

To determine if a function is a bijection in a complex number ring, you can use the following criteria: 1) the function must be both injective and surjective, 2) the function must have a unique inverse, and 3) the function must be defined for all elements in the ring. If all of these conditions are met, then the function is a bijection.

5. Can a bijection exist between two different complex number rings?

Yes, a bijection can exist between two different complex number rings if they have the same cardinality (number of elements). As long as the conditions for a bijection are met, the function can map elements from one ring to elements in the other ring in a one-to-one and onto manner.