Bijection proof (intro analysis)

In summary, the proposition that ##f:D->K## is a bijection if there exists a unique function ##g:K->D## such that ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f## does not hold, as shown by the counterexample provided.
zelmac
I'm wondering whether my solution to this problem is correct, since the answer in the answer sheet says that this is provable, and I think I found a counterexample... Any help is appreciated :)

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: ##f:D->K##, where ##D,K != empty##, is a bijection iff there exists a unique function ##g:K->D## such that:
##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets look at the following function: ##f:\{1\}-->\{1,2\}##, defined by ##f(1)=1##. Clearly the function##g:\{1,2\}-->\{1\}##, defined by ##g(1)=1## and ##g(2)=1## satisfies ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, since ##f(g(f(1)))=f(g(1))=f(1)##, and 1 is the only element in the domain of f. Let's assume that ##g':\{1,2\}-->\{1\}## is a function that satisfies ##f\circ{g'}\circ{f}=f##. The only way that g' is even a function is if we define it as ##g'(1)=1##and ##g'(2)=1##, so ##g'=g##, so ##g## is a unique function ##K-->D## which satisfies the condition.
But f is not a surjection, so we have found a function ##f:D-->K## which is not a bijection, but for which there exists a unique function ##g:K-->D## such that ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, so the proposition does not stand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zelmac said:
I'm wondering whether my solution to this problem is correct, since the answer in the answer sheet says that this is provable, and I think I found a counterexample... Any help is appreciated :)

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: ##f:D->K##, where ##D,K != empty##, is a bijection iff there exists a unique function ##g:K->D## such that:
##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets look at the following function: ##f:\{1\}-->\{1,2\}##, defined by ##f(1)=1##. Clearly the function##g:\{1,2\}-->\{1\}##, defined by ##g(1)=1## and ##g(2)=1## satisfies ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, since ##f(g(f(1)))=f(g(1))=f(1)##, and 1 is the only element in the domain of f. Let's assume that ##g':\{1,2\}-->\{1\}## is a function that satisfies ##f\circ{g'}\circ{f}=f##. The only way that g' is even a function is if we define it as ##g'(1)=1##and ##g'(2)=1##, so ##g'=g##, so ##g## is a unique function ##K-->D## which satisfies the condition.
But f is not a surjection, so we have found a function ##f:D-->K## which is not a bijection, but for which there exists a unique function ##g:K-->D## such that ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, so the proposition does not stand.

Sounds correct to me. There is only one function g:{1,2}->{1}, but f is not a surjection.

What is a bijection proof in introductory analysis?

A bijection proof in introductory analysis is a mathematical technique used to show that two sets are of equal size or cardinality. It involves creating a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, thereby demonstrating that they have the same number of elements.

How is a bijection proof different from other types of proofs?

A bijection proof is different from other types of proofs because it specifically focuses on proving that two sets are of equal size. This involves showing that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, rather than simply demonstrating that the elements have certain properties or relationships.

What are the steps involved in a bijection proof?

The steps involved in a bijection proof typically include defining a function that maps the elements of one set to the elements of the other set, showing that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto), and then using this function to demonstrate that the two sets have the same number of elements.

Why is a bijection proof important in introductory analysis?

A bijection proof is important in introductory analysis because it allows us to establish a fundamental understanding of the concept of equinumerosity (equal cardinality) between sets. This is crucial for further understanding of concepts such as countability, infinite sets, and the cardinality of the real numbers.

What are some common examples of bijection proofs?

Some common examples of bijection proofs include showing that the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...) is of the same size as the set of even numbers (2, 4, 6, ...), or that the set of real numbers between 0 and 1 is of the same size as the set of all real numbers. Other examples can involve showing bijections between different types of geometric shapes, such as squares and circles.