1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijection proof (intro analysis)

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    I'm wondering whether my solution to this problem is correct, since the answer in the answer sheet says that this is provable, and I think I found a counterexample... Any help is appreciated :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove or disprove: ##f:D->K##, where ##D,K != empty##, is a bijection iff there exists a unique function ##g:K->D## such that:
    ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Lets look at the following function: ##f:\{1\}-->\{1,2\}##, defined by ##f(1)=1##. Clearly the function##g:\{1,2\}-->\{1\}##, defined by ##g(1)=1## and ##g(2)=1## satisfies ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, since ##f(g(f(1)))=f(g(1))=f(1)##, and 1 is the only element in the domain of f. Lets assume that ##g':\{1,2\}-->\{1\}## is a function that satisfies ##f\circ{g'}\circ{f}=f##. The only way that g' is even a function is if we define it as ##g'(1)=1##and ##g'(2)=1##, so ##g'=g##, so ##g## is a unique function ##K-->D## which satisfies the condition.
    But f is not a surjection, so we have found a function ##f:D-->K## which is not a bijection, but for which there exists a unique function ##g:K-->D## such that ##f\circ{g}\circ{f}=f##, so the proposition does not stand.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds correct to me. There is only one function g:{1,2}->{1}, but f is not a surjection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted