Bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation

In summary, the conversation discusses the QED Lagrangian and its invariance under charge conjugation. The poster has computed the transformations for \bar\Psi and \bar\Psi \Psi, but is confused about the sign change in the latter. After further studying, they realize the sign change is due to the anticommutation relation \{\Psi_a(x),\Psi_b(y)\} = \delta(x-y)\delta_{ab}. They are also unsure about how to account for the case when x=y and a=b in the sum over all a and b.
faklif

Homework Statement

I want to check that the QED lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F^{\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta} + \bar\Psi(i\displaystyle{\not} D - m)\Psi[/tex] where [tex]F^{\alpha\beta} = \partial^\alpha A^\beta - \partial^\beta A^\alpha, \ D^\mu = \partial^\mu - ieA^\mu[/tex] is invariant under charge conjugation which is given as [tex]A_\mu \rightarrow A'_\mu = -A_\mu, \ \Psi \rightarrow \Psi' = -i(\bar\Psi \gamma^0\gamma^2)^T[/tex].

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have computed [tex]\bar\Psi \rightarrow \bar\Psi' = \Psi'\gamma^0 = -i(\gamma^0\gamma^2\Psi)^T[/tex] which I have then checked in Peskin and Schroeder.

Next I wanted to compute [tex]\bar\Psi \Psi \rightarrow \bar\Psi' \Psi' = -i(\gamma^0\gamma^2\Psi)^T(-i\bar\Psi \gamma^0\gamma^2)^T = -(\bar\Psi \gamma^0\gamma^2)(\gamma^0\gamma^2\Psi) = - \bar\Psi \Psi[/tex]. Where I transpose the whole expression which I thought should be ok since the Lagrangian is 1x1 and use [tex]\gamma^0\gamma^2\gamma^0\gamma^2 = I[/tex]. Checking this in P&S is not as fun since it's wrong, there should be no minus sign. What am I doing wrong?

I also don't quite understand the computation in P&S which is [tex]\bar\Psi \Psi \rightarrow \bar\Psi' \Psi' = -i(\gamma^0\gamma^2\Psi)^T(-i\bar\Psi \gamma^0\gamma^2)^T = -\gamma^0_{ab}\gamma^2_{bc}\Psi_c\bar\Psi_d\gamma^0_{de}\gamma^2_{ea} = \bar\Psi_d\gamma^0_{de}\gamma^2_{ea}\gamma^0_{ab}\gamma^2_{bc}\Psi_c = -\bar\Psi\gamma^2\gamma^0\gamma^0\gamma^2\Psi = \bar\Psi \Psi[/tex]. What I don't understand is the step between the two expressions with indices, why does the sign change?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've kept studying and I think that the minus sign which appears is from [tex]\{\Psi_a(x),\Psi_b(y)\} = \delta(x-y)\delta_{ab}[/tex]. What I don't understand is what happens at x=y with a=b? Don't I have to account for this as well since the sum is over all a and b and not limited in space?

1. What are bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation?

Bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation refer to terms in the equation that describe the interaction between two fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in a quantum electrodynamics (QED) system. These terms are important for understanding the behavior of particles in QED systems.

2. How do bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation affect particle interactions?

Bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation play a crucial role in determining how particles interact with each other. They are responsible for the scattering of particles and the exchange of virtual particles in a QED system. These terms also affect the overall symmetry and behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of charge conjugation in QED lagrangian?

In QED, charge conjugation is a symmetry operation that transforms particles into their antiparticles and vice versa. This symmetry is important in understanding the properties and interactions of particles in a QED system. Bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation are used to describe this symmetry and its effects on particle behavior.

4. How are bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation derived?

Bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation are derived from the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in a QED system. These terms are a result of applying charge conjugation to the Dirac equation and simplifying the resulting equation.

5. Are bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation applicable in all QED systems?

Yes, bilinear terms in QED lagrangian under charge conjugation are applicable in all QED systems. They are a fundamental part of the QED lagrangian and are used to describe the interactions of particles in all types of QED systems, from simple electron-positron interactions to more complex quantum field theories.