Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Gates

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

According to an article in the Daily Expreess, if bill gatees' entire wealth was shared amoung the whole worlds population, they would get £4.04 each :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2
    But Bill gates doesn't need to do so. Although it may seem unfair that some are extremely rich, its not exactly that they stole the money. They earned it, maybe some of the time not fairly, but acceptable.

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    bull****. Gates has more than 24billion pounds. He gave away 28 billion to charity just last year! (although this is in dollars)

Did I do the math right?

4.04 x 6,000,000,000 (that's six billion right? 9 zeros?) = 24,240,000,000.

5. Oct 17, 2005 #4
    Oh wait a billion is TWELVE zeros. Right.

Okay well it doesn't really matter. According to forbes he's worth 46 billion dollars. So if he gave away all his money everyone in the world would get roughly 7 billion dollars.

46/6=7.6 reoccuring.

Now, unless the Dollar has plumetted recently 7 billion dollars is still worth more than 4.04 pounds.

6. Oct 17, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Hmmm, i wonder how many, " earn", this type of money, after all IT and the
    internet are a form of addiction.

7. Oct 17, 2005 #6
    Most of that 46 billion is locked up in shares though. I recently heard that Roman Abramovich the russian owner of chelsea football club has the most cash to spend and thats (only) about 7-8 billion pounds.

8. Oct 17, 2005 #7

46 billion / 6 billion = 7.6 dollars
    how is that 7.6 billion? because its not
    ???

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  9. Oct 17, 2005 #8
    Bill Gates did not "steal" that money? I guess that depends on your definition of steal :smile:

moose, you must remember to ignore smurf while he is doing math (he gets confused easily :smile: )

10. Oct 17, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Wanna try that one again...?

So that's where you get your ideas about economics! :biggrin:

11. Oct 17, 2005 #10
    Yah, 7 dollars each, Smurf. but I like the idea of 28 bn for my family.....

12. Oct 17, 2005 #11
    There are only six people in Smurf's world. All the rest of us are just figments of his imagination.

13. Oct 17, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

He could, in theory, liquidate all of his net worth, but it would probably take a while and be disastrous to the industries he's invested in.

14. Oct 17, 2005 #13
    You know. I made that mistake all the time in Math 11. You'd think I woulda learned by now.

15. Oct 17, 2005 #14
    I wish I could just drop out of college like he did...

16. Oct 17, 2005 #15

russ_watters

I don't know who you think you're fooling, but I know everyone here is part of a computer simulation created for my entertainment. I'm the only one on this entire forum who is real.

Prove me wrong.

17. Oct 18, 2005 #16
    I think, therefore I am. I know I exist, therefore I exist.

I have just proven my existance. Therefore you are wrong. This proof does not change just because you choose not to believe me. My existance does not depend on your admission of my existance. You are wrong regardless of wether you know it.

The truth is though, I have no way of knowing if *you* exist. Only that I know I do.

18. Oct 18, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Man... 7 billion dollars... when do i get my fair share....

And whats this BS about stealing. He didn't walk into your houes and take your wallet, you gave it to him. Just because you got reamed and decided you wanted more doesn't mean he steals.

19. Oct 18, 2005 #18
    I just wish i was as smart/sneaky as him to do something similiar and make billions of pounds.

20. Oct 18, 2005 #19
    Could you imagine the inflation if everyone in the world got 7 billion :surprised

And yes, anyone technically could have done what he did, plus, all of you using microsoft products are helping him :tongue: (which includes me)

21. Oct 18, 2005 #20

russ_watters

And just a minor point of clarification here:
    People often say he got his money by stealing it, but it is important to note that Bill Gates has been the richest man in the world since 1993, long before the anti-trust issues that started with Windows 95 and Internet Explorer ('96)(there were rumblings earlier, but nothing came of them).

The only thing he can be reasonably accused of prior to that is some slightly shady ethics in playing the game better than Steve Jobs or Xerox. Jobs gave Microsoft the ideas that became Windows after Xerox gave them to Jobs.
    http://www.forbes.com/2003/09/18/cx_ld_0918gates400s.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?