Binding energy and radiactive decay?

In summary: The neutrino is not an entity, it is just a particle with zero mass. It is only present during radioactive decay, and helps to release the energy that is stored in the nucleus.
kraphysics
We are studying nuclear physics right now and I don't quite understand the concept of binding energy. So, as I understand it binding energy is the work done to remove the nucleons which are bound together by the strong nuclear force. But then during radioactive decay, when you do the equations, how come you calculate energy using difference in mass of parent and daughter atoms and not nucleons/nucleus? I thought the electrons didn't have anything to do with binding energy? I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the mass of bare nuclei are nearly impossible to measure. Since you in real life situations you will always encounter atoms or ions it is more convenient to work with the atomic masses.

Having to work with atomic masses can be confusing when the initial and final isotopes in a decay have different numbers of atomic electrons, because you have to account for the mass of an "extra" or "missing" electron somewhere. I like to handle this by writing my mass/energy balance equation using nuclear masses first, then substituting the atomic masses. For example, in a typical [itex]\beta^-[/itex] decay:

[tex]X \rightarrow Y + e^- + \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

where X has atomic number Z and Y has atomic number Z+1:

[tex]m_{X,nuc} = m_{Y,nuc} + m_e + Q[/tex]

where Q is the mass-equivalent of the energy released in the decay. The masses that we find in tables are atomic masses which include atomic electrons:

[tex]m_{X,nuc} = m_{X,atom} - Zm_e[/tex]

[tex]m_{Y,nuc} = m_{Y,atom} - (Z+1)m_e[/tex]

Substitute these into the mass-balance equation, and simplify, and you get

[tex]m_{X,atom} = m_{Y,atom} + Q[/tex]

which doesn't look like it accounts for the mass of the ejected electron, but it really does because of the electron masses included in the atomic masses.

jtbell said:
Having to work with atomic masses can be confusing when the initial and final isotopes in a decay have different numbers of atomic electrons, because you have to account for the mass of an "extra" or "missing" electron somewhere. I like to handle this by writing my mass/energy balance equation using nuclear masses first, then substituting the atomic masses. For example, in a typical [itex]\beta^-[/itex] decay:

[tex]X \rightarrow Y + e^- + \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

where X has atomic number Z and Y has atomic number Z+1:

[tex]m_{X,nuc} = m_{Y,nuc} + m_e + Q[/tex]

where Q is the mass-equivalent of the energy released in the decay. The masses that we find in tables are atomic masses which include atomic electrons:

[tex]m_{X,nuc} = m_{X,atom} - Zm_e[/tex]

[tex]m_{Y,nuc} = m_{Y,atom} - (Z+1)m_e[/tex]

Substitute these into the mass-balance equation, and simplify, and you get

[tex]m_{X,atom} = m_{Y,atom} + Q[/tex]

which doesn't look like it accounts for the mass of the ejected electron, but it really does because of the electron masses included in the atomic masses.

Thank you for that. I think I understand that part but my confusion lies somewhere else. I am trying to conceptually make sense of what is happening in radioactive decay. I don't understand how energy is released? Binding energy is put into separate the nucleons so where does the energy that is released come from? Is it that during decay, more energy is available than the binding energy? I am confused!
Another question, does the mass-energy equivalence to ONLY binding energy or does a nucleus have potential energy as well?
I think I am thinking about it completely wrong.

Last edited:
kraphysics said:
Binding energy is put into separate the nucleons so where does the energy that is released come from?

The total energy of a nucleus is the sum of the mass-energies of its nucleons (protons and neutrons), minus the binding energy.

In my example, nucleus X has more energy to begin with, than nucleus Y plus the mass-energy of the ejected electron. The two nuclei have different amounts of binding energy, even though they have the same number of nucleons. Some of the difference comes from the fact that one nucleus has more protons (more electrical repulsion), some comes from the different nuclear structures affecting the nuclear forces among all the nucleons. The difference in binding energy is enough to produce the electron and give it some kinetic energy.

If the difference in binding energy were smaller than the mass of the electron, or even in the other direction, beta decay would be impossible because it would require a net input of energy.

(You also have to include the small mass-energy difference between a proton and a neutron, which I omitted above to keep things simple.)

Last edited:
From curiosity i will to know : what is the physics role of neutrino inside the nukleus and exist it as an entity there or "created after"?

Neither the neutrino nor the emitted electron exists in the nucleus before the decay. They are created when a neutron in the original nucleus (X) converts into a proton.

Going a bit deeper, a down-quark in the neutron converts into an up-quark, thereby converting the neutron into a proton:

[tex]d \rightarrow u + e^- + \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

so

[tex]udd \rightarrow uud + e^- + \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

[tex]n \rightarrow p + e^- + \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

I donno.. I feel confused about this. Here is a formula that is in my textbook

mc^2(parent) = mc^2(daughter) + mc^2(alpha) + delta E

what does this really mean? I mean I don't see any delta m there so I assume there is some innate internal energy that each nucleus has. What does the formula really mean?

I think I get it. thanks

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to hold together the nucleus of an atom. It is the result of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.

2. How is binding energy related to radioactive decay?

Binding energy is directly related to radioactive decay as it determines the stability of an atom. Atoms with higher binding energy are more stable and are less likely to undergo radioactive decay. On the other hand, atoms with lower binding energy are less stable and are more likely to undergo radioactive decay in order to reach a more stable state.

3. What is the difference between alpha, beta, and gamma decay?

Alpha decay is the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from the nucleus of an atom. Beta decay is the emission of a beta particle (a high-energy electron or positron) from the nucleus. Gamma decay is the emission of a gamma ray (high-energy electromagnetic radiation) from the nucleus. These types of decay differ in terms of the particles or radiation emitted and the resulting change in the nucleus.

4. How does binding energy affect the stability of an atom?

The higher the binding energy of an atom, the more stable it is. This is because the strong nuclear force is stronger than the repulsive force between protons in the nucleus. Therefore, atoms with higher binding energy are less likely to undergo radioactive decay and are considered more stable.

5. Can binding energy be manipulated?

Binding energy cannot be manipulated as it is a fundamental property of an atom's nucleus. However, it can be affected by changing the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus through nuclear reactions such as fusion and fission. These reactions can result in a change in an atom's binding energy and therefore affect its stability and tendency for radioactive decay.