1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion for fractional power

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So, I'm solving a dipole thing and I have these vectors:
    |r + d - r'| = (r² + d² - r'²)(1/2)
    2. Relevant equations
    I want to expand this but I have no idea how! I know I may have an infinite power series, but I may expand at the square terms tops...
    Before I needed to do the same with something like (a + b)(1/2) and I got it, I found how to do it. But in this case I can't find a conection...
    Can anyone please explain to me how to? Or at least indicate somewhere where I can find it? Because I looked over and couldn't find...

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you want to expand with respect to? Expand in powers of ##r^2##? Expand in powers of ##d^2##? Expand in powers of ##r'^2##? Expand in something else?

Just expand ##(a+x)^{1/2}## in powers of ##x##, then identify ##a## and ##x## for your problem.

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    For example,if I have ##(a+b)^n## , where n can be a fraction...I know I solve like:

##(a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...##

If I had ##(a-b)^n## I should alternate the signal + and -...

But in the case ##(a+b+c)^n## or more precisely ##(a+b-c)^n## I don't know how to do it...
    I just want to expand like the one above...

5. Mar 23, 2016 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(a+b+c)=((a+b)+c) is the original form.

6. Mar 23, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have still have not answered my original question: expand with respect to what?

You could expand in power of ##a## as
    [tex] (a+b+c)^n = (b+c)^n \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {n \choose k} \left( \frac{a}{b+c} \right)^k, [/tex]
    where
    [tex] {n \choose k}= \frac{n(n-1) \cdots (n-k+1)}{k!} [/tex]
    for any real ##n## and non-negative integer ##k##.

Or, you could try to expand the whole thing in powers like ##a^k b^j c^l##, perhaps by re-writing the above as
    [tex] (a+b+c)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {n \choose k} a^k (b+c)^{n-k}, [/tex]
    then expanding each of the ##(c+b)^{n-k}## in powers of ##b## and ##c##, and then collecting terms. It would be messy.

Or, you could use the trinomial expansion, which says that
    [tex] (a+b+c)^n = \sum_{k_1,k_2,k_3} c(k_1,k_2,k_3) a^{k_1} b^{k_2} c^{k_3}, [/tex]
    where
    [tex] c(k_1,k_2,k_3) = {n \choose k_1} {n-k_1 \choose k_2} {n-k_1-k_2 \choose k_3} [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  7. Mar 23, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What vectors? How are you managing to equate the lefthand side with the righthand side?

8. Mar 23, 2016 #7
    Sorry, I know I have not been very clear, but I'm trying to understand (and failing) that's why...
    Here what I have (in the figure):
    I need to expand the first term, conserve only the linear term in "d". I need to get the last equation...but I have no idea about what I'm doing :( 1.jpg

9. Mar 23, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Much better: write ##\vec{p} = \frac{1}{2} \vec{d}## so you have
    [tex] \phi(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[ \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{p}|} - \frac{1}{|\vec{r} + \vec{p}|} \right] [/tex]
    Now
    [tex] \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{p}|}=\frac{1}{r} (1-x_1)^{-1/2}, \;\; x_1 = \frac{2 \vec{r}\cdot \vec{p}}{r^2} - \frac{p^2}{r^2} [/tex]
    with as similar expression for ##1/|\vec{r} + \vec{p}|##. Now use the binomial expansion for ##(1-x_1)^{-1/2}## in powers of ##x_1##, exactly as I had suggested in post #2.

In your case, stopping at the first power (##x_1^1##) will be good enough.

10. Mar 24, 2016 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have a sign error in your diagram, but I think your expression for the potential is okay for the way I think you're defining ##\vec{d}##. Still, you probably should start over and go with Ray's suggestion since ##\theta## is defined in terms of ##\vec{r}## and the dipole axis.

Remember that ##\lvert \vec{x} \rvert## is defined as ##\sqrt{\vec{x}\cdot\vec{x}}##. Use that fact and then factor the ##r^2## out of the square root to get the expression Ray wrote above on the righthand side of the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted