Binomial expansion for fractional power

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the solution to a dipole problem, but is having difficulty with understanding what he is doing. He has identified that he needs to expand the first term, conserve only the linear term in "d", and solve for the last equation.
Paradoxx

Homework Statement

So, I'm solving a dipole thing and I have these vectors:
|r + d - r'| = (r² + d² - r'²)(1/2)

Homework Equations

I want to expand this but I have no idea how! I know I may have an infinite power series, but I may expand at the square terms tops...
Before I needed to do the same with something like (a + b)(1/2) and I got it, I found how to do it. But in this case I can't find a conection...
Can anyone please explain to me how to? Or at least indicate somewhere where I can find it? Because I looked over and couldn't find...

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Paradoxx said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I want to expand this but I have no idea how! I know I may have an infinite power series, but I may expand at the square terms tops...
Before I needed to do the same with something like (a + b)(1/2) and I got it, I found how to do it. But in this case I can't find a conection...
Can anyone please explain to me how to? Or at least indicate somewhere where I can find it? Because I looked over and couldn't find...

Thanks...

What do you want to expand with respect to? Expand in powers of ##r^2##? Expand in powers of ##d^2##? Expand in powers of ##r'^2##? Expand in something else?

Just expand ##(a+x)^{1/2}## in powers of ##x##, then identify ##a## and ##x## for your problem.

For example,if I have ##(a+b)^n## , where n can be a fraction...I know I solve like:

##(a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...##

If I had ##(a-b)^n## I should alternate the signal + and -...

But in the case ##(a+b+c)^n## or more precisely ##(a+b-c)^n## I don't know how to do it...
I just want to expand like the one above...

Paradoxx said:
For example,if I have ##(a+b)^n## , where n can be a fraction...I know I solve like:

##(a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...##

But in the case ##(a+b+c)^n## or more precisely ##(a+b-c)^n## I don't know how to do it...

(a+b+c)=((a+b)+c) is the original form.

Paradoxx said:

You have still have not answered my original question: expand with respect to what?

You could expand in power of ##a## as
[tex] (a+b+c)^n = (b+c)^n \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {n \choose k} \left( \frac{a}{b+c} \right)^k, [/tex]
where
[tex] {n \choose k}= \frac{n(n-1) \cdots (n-k+1)}{k!} [/tex]
for any real ##n## and non-negative integer ##k##.

Or, you could try to expand the whole thing in powers like ##a^k b^j c^l##, perhaps by re-writing the above as
[tex] (a+b+c)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {n \choose k} a^k (b+c)^{n-k}, [/tex]
then expanding each of the ##(c+b)^{n-k}## in powers of ##b## and ##c##, and then collecting terms. It would be messy.

Or, you could use the trinomial expansion, which says that
[tex] (a+b+c)^n = \sum_{k_1,k_2,k_3} c(k_1,k_2,k_3) a^{k_1} b^{k_2} c^{k_3}, [/tex]
where
[tex] c(k_1,k_2,k_3) = {n \choose k_1} {n-k_1 \choose k_2} {n-k_1-k_2 \choose k_3} [/tex]

Last edited:
Paradoxx said:

Homework Statement

What vectors? How are you managing to equate the lefthand side with the righthand side?

Sorry, I know I have not been very clear, but I'm trying to understand (and failing) that's why...
Here what I have (in the figure):
I need to expand the first term, conserve only the linear term in "d". I need to get the last equation...but I have no idea about what I'm doing :(
1.jpg

Paradoxx said:
Sorry, I know I have not been very clear, but I'm trying to understand (and failing) that's why...
I need to expand the first term, conserve only the linear term in "d". I need to get the last equation...but I have no idea about what I'm doing :(View attachment 97857

Much better: write ##\vec{p} = \frac{1}{2} \vec{d}## so you have
[tex] \phi(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[ \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{p}|} - \frac{1}{|\vec{r} + \vec{p}|} \right] [/tex]
Now
[tex] \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{p}|}=\frac{1}{r} (1-x_1)^{-1/2}, \;\; x_1 = \frac{2 \vec{r}\cdot \vec{p}}{r^2} - \frac{p^2}{r^2} [/tex]
with as similar expression for ##1/|\vec{r} + \vec{p}|##. Now use the binomial expansion for ##(1-x_1)^{-1/2}## in powers of ##x_1##, exactly as I had suggested in post #2.

In your case, stopping at the first power (##x_1^1##) will be good enough.

Likes Paradoxx
Paradoxx said:
I need to expand the first term, conserve only the linear term in "d". I need to get the last equation...but I have no idea about what I'm doing :(View attachment 97857
You have a sign error in your diagram, but I think your expression for the potential is okay for the way I think you're defining ##\vec{d}##. Still, you probably should start over and go with Ray's suggestion since ##\theta## is defined in terms of ##\vec{r}## and the dipole axis.

Remember that ##\lvert \vec{x} \rvert## is defined as ##\sqrt{\vec{x}\cdot\vec{x}}##. Use that fact and then factor the ##r^2## out of the square root to get the expression Ray wrote above on the righthand side of the equation.

Likes Paradoxx

1. What is the binomial expansion for fractional power?

The binomial expansion for fractional power is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to any real or complex power. It is based on the binomial theorem, which states that for any real or complex numbers a and b and any positive integer n, the following equation holds: (a + b)^n = Σ(n, k=0) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k. This expansion can be used to approximate values of functions and solve complex equations.

2. How is the binomial expansion for fractional power derived?

The binomial expansion for fractional power is derived using the binomial theorem, which is a mathematical theorem that explains the relationship between the expansion of a binomial expression and its powers. It can be proved using mathematical induction and the properties of the binomial coefficients. The process involves expanding the binomial expression and simplifying it using the binomial coefficients.

3. What are the applications of binomial expansion for fractional power?

The binomial expansion for fractional power has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate values of functions, solve complex equations, and calculate probabilities in statistics. It also has applications in fields such as finance, biology, and computer science.

4. Can the binomial expansion for fractional power be generalized to any power?

Yes, the binomial expansion for fractional power can be generalized to any power, including fractional and negative powers. This is because the binomial theorem can be extended to any real or complex number x by using the generalized binomial coefficient (x choose k), which is defined as: (x choose k) = x * (x-1) * (x-2) * ... * (x-k+1) / k!. This enables us to expand any binomial expression raised to any real or complex power.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the binomial expansion for fractional power?

One common misconception about the binomial expansion for fractional power is that it only applies to binomial expressions. However, it can be used to expand any polynomial expression raised to any power. Another misconception is that it can only be used for positive powers, but it can also be applied to negative and fractional powers. Additionally, some may think that the binomial coefficients are just the coefficients of the terms in the expansion, but they are actually calculated using a formula based on the powers and binomial theorem.