1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Expansion Question - fractional powers

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question is simple is there a formula for the bi/tri-nomial expansion of bi/tri-nomials raised to fractional powers. that is,

[tex] (x^{2}+1)^{1/2} [/tex] or [tex] (x^{2}+x+1)^{1/2} [/tex]

I know pascals triangle for integer exponents but i can't really find anything about fraction exponents. I also know that 1/2 or 1/3 are square or cube roots but in that form i don't see anyway of expanding them.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you have a fractional or negative power, you have an infinite number of terms. Normally you'd expand it the usual way. But you work out nC1 and nC2 to get results such as:

nC1 =n

nC2= n(n-1)/2!

and then you'd just substitute for n.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    I don't really understand what you are saying, can you use those rules to show me on one of the examples that I listed?

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    Can someone please explain this to me?

6. May 3, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The expansion of (a+b)n is as follows:

[tex](a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...[/tex]

If you insert in your calculator something like 1/2C1, it won't give you a number. But you can simplify nC1 from the definition of nCr

[tex]\left( ^n _r \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/tex]

[tex] \left( ^n _1 \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!1!}[/tex]

n!=n(n-1)(n-2)...3.2.1 = n(n-1)!

You can similarly simplify nC2, in the same manner.

[tex](a+b)^n = b^n + nb^{n-1}a + ... [/tex]
    Sp

7. May 3, 2010 #6
    so does

nC1 read n choose 1?

I really have no experience with n choose k equations, thats why I am having a hard time understanding you.

8. May 3, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, nC1 is read as "n choose 1." It also means the number of combinations of n things taken 1 at a time.

It is also written as
    [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Take a look at this Wike article, especially the section on Newton's generalized binomial theorem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

9. May 3, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well yes they are essentially the same idea. Except you are not really 'choosing' in a binomial expansion.

But you do understand the definitions of n! and nCr as I've typed above right?

10. May 3, 2010 #9
    Ill take a shot at understanding it though, so in:

[tex]
    (a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...
    [/tex]

is:

[tex] b^{n-1}a [/tex]

then multiplied by:

[tex]
    \left( ^n _1 \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!1!}
    [/tex]

is that how it goes? I got the pattern, just those n choose r phrases are a mystery to me at the moment

or rather

[tex] \left (^n _k \right) [/tex]

become the binomial coefficients, is that right?

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  11. May 3, 2010 #10

Mark44

Right. The snag here is that for "n choose k" expressions, both n and k are normally integer values, with n >= r. For your problem, n is going to be 1/2.

12. May 3, 2010 #11
    ok, so i guess the only other question I have is how would you do factorials with fractions,

what would

[tex] \frac{1}{2}! [/tex] be?

I know integer factorials are easy,

[tex] 4! = 1*2*3*4 [/tex]...

13. May 3, 2010 #12
    On my calculator I found a factorial button, at least I think that's what it is, if i put in:

(1/2)! it gives 0.8862269255, does that sound right? It doesn't work out to a fraction but if i solve the equation:

[tex] \left(^n _k \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!} [/tex]

for

[tex] \left(^n _1 \right) [/tex]

with

[tex] n! = n(n-1)! [/tex]

you get:

[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{1}{2})!}{(-\frac{1}{2})!(1)!} = \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

does it look like i have a hold on this here?

14. May 3, 2010 #13
  15. May 3, 2010 #14
    ok then..... I really don't know if this is what I am suppose to use but would this be appropriate?

[tex] \Gamma (n + \frac {1}{2}) = \frac {(2n-1)!!}{2^{n}} \sqrt{ \pi } = \left(^{n-\frac{1}{2}} _{\;\;n} \right) n! \sqrt{ \pi } [/tex]

If that's the right equation would I use that were the normal binomial theorem calls for a factorial of a fraction?

This is much more complicated that I had originally hoped.

Also how do I know when to stop? With the normal theorem using whole integers there should be n+1 terms for a binomial raised to the n powers, but when n = 1/2 n+1 = 3/2 or 1+ 1/2 terms, which does make sense.

16. May 3, 2010 #15

Mark44

As rock.freak667 said in post 2, with fractional or negative exponents, you get an infinite number of terms, unlike what happens when n is a positive integer.

17. May 3, 2010 #16
    ah so this is hopeless? No way to get a finite number of terms? Basically its an infinite sum?

18. May 3, 2010 #17

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The only way to get a finite number of terms is if you neglect certain powers and higher. So if you need to approximate a square root for example, to a certain degree of accuracy, higher terms will become negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook