1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial series

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    hello all

I thought this might be an interesting question to ask, consider the following series
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\alpha\\n \end{array}\right)x^{n}=(1+x)^{\alpha}[/tex]
    this is known as the binomial series, whats confusing me is that how could this series exist when [tex]\alpha< n[/tex] especially when its a series that adds infinitely
    number of terms, from my understanding this [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\alpha\\n \end{array}\right)[/tex] can only be evaluated when [tex]\alpha>n[/tex] please help

thanxs

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

they are identically zero for n>alpha (assuming alpha is an integer)

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    hello Matt
    well im still confused, what im not understanding is that if

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\alpha\\n \end{array}\right)=\frac{\alpha !}{n!(\alpha-n)!}[/tex] and [tex]\alpha< n[/tex] then [tex]\alpha-n[/tex] is negetive how could you find the factorial of a negetive

number, and if they were identically equal to zero i couldnt see how this
    [tex]\frac{\alpha !}{n!(\alpha-n)!}=0[/tex]

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are *DEFINED* to be zero. Who said that that formula holds for the cases you have a problem with?

there is another way to define the binomial coefficient for non-integer alpha too, it's

a(a-1)(a-2)..(a-n+1)/n!

that is defined for all a and all integer n.

6. Jun 16, 2005 #5
    yeah I get what you mean, its just that I couldnt find any site that tells what happens in that sanario so i got really confused anyway

Thanxs Matt

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?