1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochemistry vs. Chemical Engineering

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    For the past two weeks, I have stressed over whether to major in Cheme or Bioc. Right now I am double majored in both and I plan on doing 5 years anyways, but I'm not sure what to do.

My dream job is to be a virologist. I want to work with the CDC someday and cure the virus responsible for the zombie apocalypse (little immature of me-I've actually been interested in this career for 6 years since my 7th grade had a huge unit over viruses).

But, it is my understanding that unless you get into med school, a biochemistry degree will do little for you. I am afraid of leaving school to find no job (we all are, aren't we?). There are some students who go to medschool after getting a Cheme degree, so I could always go that path in a Cheme degree too. Plus a Cheme degree can guarentee many different opportunities and jobs, and I would like to try to get into medschool too.

I am very interested in viruses, but I find Cheme sort of interesting too, not near as much though. I haven't done any internships or co-ops yet (I'm in 2nd semester of Freshman year), but I plan on trying to get one soon or Sophomore year. My school (Uni of Neb-Lincoln) is big on getting students co-ops and internships.

If I can get into medschool with a Cheme or a Bioc, should I take the Cheme route since I have a better possibility of a job if medschool doesn't work out? I think I am capable of Cheme-I'm struggling in my classes right now with B's, but I will improve.

Thank you for any responses-try not to be too biased please :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted