BioJet 1: Biodiesel Takes Flight

In summary, a 1968 L-29 Czechoslovakian jet, dubbed BioJet 1, was powered by cooking oil for the first time when it flew to 17,000 feet (5,180 meters) over 37 minutes. BioJet 1 is the world's first flight entirely fueled by cooking oil and it proves that biodiesel can be effective as a fuel for airplanes.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Biodiesel may not become the airplane fuel of the future but it did prove effective enough to recently power a 1968 L-29 Czechoslovakian jet—dubbed BioJet 1—up to 17,000 feet (5,180 meters) over 37 minutes. A three minute, 15-second test the day before was the world's first flight entirely fueled by cooking oil.

"She flew and she flew just fine," says physicist Rudi Wiedemann, president and CEO of Biodiesel Solutions, Inc., whose company provided the fuel for the historic October flight: fresh canola oil refined into biodiesel. "We wanted to show that it was doable by just going out and doing it." [continued]
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=biodiesel-takes-to-the-sky

Actually, biodiesel is getting great attention wrt aviation because of its high energy density - almost as good as regular diesel.

Boeing and Virgin recently partnered in an effort to develop alternative fuels for aviation.
http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=140037

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
More land for fuel rather than food, i think food is more important than air travel.

wolram said:
More land for fuel rather than food, i think food is more important than air travel.

Biodiesel from algae doesn't need to compete with food. It does not require good farmland in order to grow.

Where I live, if we converted just the land used to grow grass seed [which is used mainly for golf courses] to fuel production, we should be able to produce something like 2.5 billion gallons of fuel per year.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, you should enjoy the biodiesel powered, Earthrace Wavepiercer Trimaran.
http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Biodiesel from algae doesn't need to compete with food. It does not require good farmland in order to grow.

Where I live, if we converted just the land used to grow grass seed [which is used mainly for golf courses] to fuel production, we should be able to produce something like 2.5 billion gallons of fuel per year.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, you should enjoy the biodiesel powered, Earthrace Wavepiercer Trimaran.
http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm

I am all ready a great believer in algae fuel and geothermal, anyone working in these areas get my backing.

You can send your checks to Ivan Seeking at... :biggrin:

The red blotches on my avatar are the pockets of oil within microalgae. The algae are probably around 10 microns in size.

What is BioJet 1: Biodiesel Takes Flight?

BioJet 1: Biodiesel Takes Flight is a program that aims to develop and implement sustainable biodiesel fuel for use in aviation.

How does BioJet 1 work?

The program works by researching and testing different types of biodiesel fuel to determine the most efficient and environmentally friendly option for use in aviation. The fuel is then produced and distributed to airlines for use in their aircraft.

What are the benefits of using biodiesel in aviation?

Using biodiesel in aviation has several benefits, including reducing carbon emissions and promoting sustainability. Biodiesel is also a renewable resource that can be produced domestically, reducing the reliance on foreign oil.

What types of biodiesel are being researched for use in BioJet 1?

The program is researching various types of biodiesel, including algae-based biodiesel and waste vegetable oil biodiesel. Each type has its own unique properties and potential benefits for use in aviation.

Are there any challenges with implementing biodiesel in aviation?

Yes, there are some challenges with implementing biodiesel in aviation, such as the cost of production and distribution, as well as potential technical issues with using biodiesel in aircraft engines. However, the program is working to address these challenges through research and development.

Back