Biology or mathematics. Can you help me?

In summary, Philippe is seeking information on job prospects for those with a bachelor's degree in biology or mathematics. He has heard that there are more opportunities in mathematics, but is unsure if he wants to pursue a graduate degree due to wanting to start a family and earn money. He is considering a minor or major in biology to work in biostatistics or biometrics, as he enjoys mathematics and wants to apply it to solve biological questions. The community suggests majoring in math with a few biology courses or exploring biomathematics as a potential field.
My background:I am 26 years old and I want to get a bachelors degree as a means to a better future and to enrich my knowledge. Since I am quite old, I am unsure as to whether I will pursue graduate studies, since I would like to eventually start a family and earn money but my attitude is to wait and see how things will go before making a decision on that matter.The purpose of this post is to get information on the job prospects for people with bachelor degrees in biology or mathematics.

From what I have heard, there seems to be more job opportunities in mathematics (actuarial sciences, statistics, applied mathematics) for bachelor degree holders than in the biological sciences (I have been told that a graduate degree is the strict minimum for getting a job in that field).

I find mathematics an enjoyable subject but I get the impression that the community is bit too aloof and sectarian for my tastes. I believe the life sciences would be a better fit for my personality type but then again I'm afraid that studying for that would mean that I would have to wait until I am 30 something before I can get a job...(My school has summer courses in math and I can do a bachelors degree in 2 years)

I was wondering if it was possible to get a bachelors degree in statistics and afterwards work on a minor or major in biology to work in that field in biostatistics or biometrics.

Basically, I want the solid and intellectually challenging formation that I believe only mathematics can bring me and I want to apply that knowledge to help solve biological questions. What would be the best way to achieve that?Merci beaucoup

Philippe

Physics news on Phys.org
As you do your coursework, your talents will express themselves. You give the impression of being interested in a biological undergraduate degree with maybe a minor concentration in Mathematics.

Biology education could set you toward medical related work, or involvement with foods or cosmetics. Microbiology is needed for those broad categories.

Philippe, I would recommend you do a major in Biology and a minor or even a second major in Mathematics. Like you added in the end as well, Biostatistics, or Biometrics are currently one of the most needed jobs in I would say probably all Pharmaceutical, and Biotechnological companies. Simple because most Biologists have a problem in solving mathematical problems after collecting all that data.

So I am sure that if you did something like Biometrics you would be able to get a pretty good job out there. A second thing I would recommend is going to your schools career centre (if they operate one over there) or if not, then trying out your academic advisors office and asking them for advice.

Hope my input was hopeful, and good luck in your future studies and career chasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that if you're considering an actuarial career, you should be majoring in statistics, not math. They aren't the same major. Statistics is also highly useful in the life sciences, so you really can't go wrong by combining the two.

0099458179 said:
My background:I am 26 years old and I want to get a bachelors degree as a means to a better future and to enrich my knowledge. Since I am quite old, I am unsure as to whether I will pursue graduate studies, since I would like to eventually start a family and earn money but my attitude is to wait and see how things will go before making a decision on that matter.

The purpose of this post is to get information on the job prospects for people with bachelor degrees in biology or mathematics.

From what I have heard, there seems to be more job opportunities in mathematics (actuarial sciences, statistics, applied mathematics) for bachelor degree holders than in the biological sciences (I have been told that a graduate degree is the strict minimum for getting a job in that field).

I find mathematics an enjoyable subject but I get the impression that the community is bit too aloof and sectarian for my tastes. I believe the life sciences would be a better fit for my personality type but then again I'm afraid that studying for that would mean that I would have to wait until I am 30 something before I can get a job...(My school has summer courses in math and I can do a bachelors degree in 2 years)

I was wondering if it was possible to get a bachelors degree in statistics and afterwards work on a minor or major in biology to work in that field in biostatistics or biometrics.

Basically, I want the solid and intellectually challenging formation that I believe only mathematics can bring me and I want to apply that knowledge to help solve biological questions. What would be the best way to achieve that?

Merci beaucoup

Philippe

The Biology world sorely needs folks who are good at math. Better to major in Math with 4 courses in Biology than to major in Biology with 4 courses in Math.

Stats can be an interesting major, but you've got to be at a school with a strong program.

Michael Courtney

If you really like math and biology, consider biomathematics.

I started of my undergrad with biology but later switched to biophysics (which at my school it is pretty much a double major). You will certainly have a good biology background and will be able to do math.

1. What is the difference between biology and mathematics?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment, while mathematics is the study of numbers, quantity, and space.

2. How are biology and mathematics related?

Biology and mathematics are related through various fields of study such as bioinformatics, biostatistics, and mathematical biology. These fields use mathematical tools and models to better understand biological systems and processes.

3. Which subject is more difficult, biology or mathematics?

This is subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and interests. Some may find biology more challenging due to its complexity and vast amount of information, while others may struggle with the abstract concepts in mathematics.

4. Can studying biology help improve my math skills?

Yes, studying biology can help improve math skills as it involves analyzing data, using statistical methods, and understanding mathematical concepts such as probability and geometry.

5. How can I incorporate both biology and mathematics in my career?

There are various careers that combine biology and mathematics, such as bioinformatics, biostatistics, environmental modeling, and epidemiology. These fields require a strong understanding of both subjects and offer opportunities for research and problem-solving.