Wish to pursue MS in biology. What should I major in as an undergrad?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interests in reverse aging and rejuvenation, stem cell research, and biology as well as their concerns about the job market for biology majors. They consider majoring in computer science or statistics, but ultimately want to study molecular biology and reverse aging. The experts suggest pursuing a MS or PhD in statistics or biostatistics with a focus on computational biology or statistical genetics for better job prospects. They also mention that a BS in biology may not be very employable and that programming skills can be helpful in the field.
ode_to_joy
Hello,

I am an undergrad student who is passionately interested in reverse aging and rejuvenation, stem cells research, or anything else that can possibly bring life extension to this world. However, as I am well familiar with the current job market for biology majors, I think I'd rather obtain a degree in more employable field, get a master's degree in biology, then get a job with my bachelor's degree, subscribe to research journal and do my own research in my pastime. (although I am not expecting to make significant contributions to the society)

The ideal thing would be majoring in computer science (CS) and take sufficient number of biology courses because a CS degree will open a lot of doors, but I absolutely hate CS and I am not good at it at all.
Instead, I am considering statistics. But I've heard that I would have a difficult time finding a job only with a BS in statistics and usually I would need at least a MS. Getting a MS in biostatistics might be helpful, but I primarily want to study molecular biology and reverse aging.

So, my question is, do you think a BS in statistics is enough to get a decent job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, as a statistician. Not sure how that would advance you toward getting an MS in biology. Doing research in biology is going to take more than just a thinking cap and a journal subscription, however. I think these guys doing research in biology hang around labs and stuff, or they go out in the field and collect all kinds of critters. Just sayin'.

It is possible to get a decent job with just a BS in statistics; however, it's worth pointing out that the most lucrative jobs relating to statistics (particularly for those like yourself who may prefer to work in biological or medical-related areas of statistics) tend to require at least a MS in statistics.

If you are interested in molecular biology, my advice would be for you to pursue a MS (or possibly a PhD) in statistics or biostatistics with a focus on computational biology or statistical genetics. Statistical genetics is a major research field within statistics or biostatistics departments across the US and elsewhere.

Of all the roundabout projects - in order to do the thing that interests you, you want to study something different and marginally relevant that you don't like and doesn't interest you in order to find your way to something that does.

Biologists are quite employable these days so do a good course in biology with mainly biochemistry, genetics/ molecular biology and cell biology, negligible chance you could contribute as amateur to ageing research.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting a BS in Biology if that is the field you want to enter. Programming skills are in demand in biology, but you don't need a bachelor's degree in computer science to be useful. Understanding the concepts of the field would be far more important. Plus, I suspect you would be behind in grad school for biology.

My two cents - BS in Biology is not very employable these days. Oversupply combined with an MS being the entry-level degree makes that a tough road. If this is the field you want to enter, don't let that discourage you. It simply means grad school is a necessity. I speak from personal experience, as my wife has an MS in Biology. She has been working for three years now, but getting in the door was a major hurdle. Biology is a popular field, so distinguishing yourself is important. Stats, programming, and other quantitative techniques are good for this.

1. What is the difference between a major in biology and a major in a related field like biochemistry or molecular biology?

A major in biology typically covers a broad range of topics within the field, including genetics, ecology, and evolution. A major in biochemistry or molecular biology, on the other hand, focuses more specifically on the chemical and molecular processes that occur within living organisms.

2. Will a specific undergraduate major increase my chances of being accepted into an MS program in biology?

While there is no one "best" major for pursuing an MS in biology, having a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and math is important. Additionally, some MS programs may have specific prerequisites or preferred majors, so it is important to research and tailor your undergraduate coursework accordingly.

3. Can I pursue an MS in biology with a non-science undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MS in biology with a non-science undergraduate degree. However, you may need to take additional courses to fulfill any prerequisite requirements for the program. It is also important to have a strong interest in biology and a solid understanding of basic scientific principles.

4. Do I need research experience as an undergraduate to be accepted into an MS program in biology?

While research experience can strengthen your application, it is not always necessary for acceptance into an MS program in biology. However, having research experience can demonstrate your passion for the field and your ability to work independently, which are important qualities for success in graduate-level studies.

5. Can I switch to a different major in biology during my undergraduate studies if I decide to pursue an MS in a different area of biology?

It is possible to switch majors within the field of biology during your undergraduate studies, but it may require additional coursework and may extend your time in undergrad. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making any major changes and to consult with an academic advisor for guidance.